Funny eye drop story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny eye drop story

So, does anyone ever feel like they are throwing money down the drain when it comes to trying eye products? I certainly do since I have an entire shelf (that is still growing) of things I tried and didn't like. This weekend though, I literally flushed my money down the drain.

I got home from a long car trip (during which I ran out of drops), and as soon as I got in the door I headed first for my stash of Systane Free drops, and then to the bathroom. So, I'm standing there with my newly opened box of Systane free in my hand and when I go to flush the toilet I must have tipped my hand over slightly or something because the bottle of drops feel out of the box (this is at the precious moment the toilet is flushing). So, I look ALL over the bathroom, on the floor, in the tub, maybe they rolled under the counter??? Nothing. I believe they must have hit the toilet at the exact moment it was flushing. So, there it is....I flushed a brand new unopened bottle of eye drops down the toilet. Talk about money down the drain! Luckily I had one more back up so I didn't have to immediately run to the store!

Indeed

Maybe the rats in your sewer now have refreshingly lubricated eyes.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Shells--this is NOT funny. Well, in a way it is, but why wasn't it an empty bottle you flushed? That just couldn't happen, could it? I do hope it was small enough to go all the way through without clogging problems. I imagine calling the Roto-Rooter guy is pretty expensive compared to a bottle of eyedrops.

Ever drop your keys.......................???????????????
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy,

Yes, if I would have had to call a plumber, you are right...it would NOT have been funny. I was lucky though, and it did not seem to cause any problems. It was one of those 10ml bottles, so must have just been small enough to get down without causing trouble (atleast not yet!). Wasn't it you who had dishwasher trouble due to one of those preservative free vial tops?? Who knew eye drops could be so dangerous!

-Shells

Comment

Yes, it was me with the dishwasher.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Am not sure my story is funny, but your story reminded me of this. I have to take my glasses off to do my eyedrops and, once I do, the world looks like a Renoir painting. Once, in my office, I picked up what I thought were my Genteal drops, tilted my head back and, just as I was about to apply to the first eye noticed something different about the drops container. It just felt different. So, I put my glasses back on and found that I nearly applied White Out to my left eye. Since then, I always keep White Out inside my desk.

Comment

Omigod, William. Not sure how cool THAT would have been.

Two comments:

1) Maybe Red Out would be better?

2) If you remember The Monkees, I'm fairly sure that White Out was invented by the mother of one of the Monkees.

Not that it matters.....

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by William53
                So, I put my glasses back on and found that I nearly applied White Out to my left eye.
                Now really, William53, I know many people here are pretty desperate for a solution to red eyes but this is taking things altogether too far.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Here's my "almost screwed up" story--

I was using aerosol saline from a can way back in the 1980's (some people claim they didn't make it back then, but I swear, I was using it in the late 80's).

Anyway, I was on vacation with my husband and kids, plus my in-laws, renting a little tourist cabin in Oak Creek Canyon (Arizona USA). Well, it was a small place, and not too private (one bathroom), and it soon became clear that my father-in-law's trips to the bathroom were deadly. So I bought some Arm and Hammer baking-soda type aerosol bathroom freshener.....Can you guess where this story is going?

Trying to be discreet, I kept the air freshener in our bedroom, not in the bathroom. In the middle of the night, I reached over to get my saline--to refresh my dry eyes like I usually did--and had the can poised, with my finger on the button---when "something" made me think twice. I turned on the light, and sure enough, I had the can of air freshener in my hand. They were exactly the same size, and both had white plastic lids (caps).

I learned my lesson, just like William53.

C66

Comment

Omigod, William. Not sure how cool THAT would have been.
                    Neil, are you just coming from a visit with Homes? Just wondering what you've been up to.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

This thread reminded me of a monk who glued his eyes shut a bit over a year ago http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4289777.stm

Poor guy

There was a more recent one where a mother did the same to her child, but I can't find a link. She actually tried to get compensation as the tubes were similar...! Suffice to say I thought she should have had the child taken out of her clearly incapable hands!!!

Comment

Since you're trading stories....When I first got RGP contacts the nurse gave me a bag with all the essentials: soaking solution, protein remover, wetting drops and cleaning solution. I'm sure I was told not to put cleaner in my eye but I didn't remember which of the bottles was cleaner. The first few day of contact wear my eyes teared and stung mercilessly. It wasn't til the tearing had flushed the cleaner away that I could see. It wasn't til the third day that I noticed I'd been dripping liquid soap into my eyes.

Comment

Good, God! Liquid soap?! I once put a swimmers ear solution in my eye. I had a funky blistery look to my eye and had to have it washed out at the ER.

To piggyback Shells toilet mishap, I once grabbed a tissue out of a box that sat on the back of the toilet at my parents house. It all happened so fast, I didn't realize my sister's mouth retainers were sitting on top of the tissue box. As I grabbed the tissue, her retainers flew into mid-air and in slow motion tumbled over and over...landing themselves right in the toilet bowl.

Well, I fished them out, scrubbed them, soaked them in alcohol and mouthwash...I did everything I could think of to sanitize them short of boiling them in water. The last little trick was keeping the mishap to myself for the next several years. And it was years before I fessed up. I'll admit, she took it better than I thought she would.
                          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                          X