Night ointment for MGD eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night ointment for MGD eyes?

Until now I used a vaseline-based night ointment, but I've read petroleum-based ointments can make MGD worse. I tried applying some hylo-forte before bed, but it does not last that long. Today, I woke up with my eyes literally stuck in my eyelid... Needless to say, I was scared sh*tless.
    So... What can I use? I don't think I can use masks, as I already have difficulty sleeping.

Maybe try Refresh Celluvisc (gel with no preservatives) or coconut oil applied to eyelids (not in eye). Clean your lid margins before you go to bed with lid wipes, and again in the middle of the night if you wake up - I find this very helpful.

Comment

I'm also starting to think about my sleeping situation. I have a ceiling fan, which I really need because i frequently get hot in the night. I read that can exacerbate dry eye.

I saw "Systane Nighttime Lubricant Eye Ointment" on Amazon, and some kind of gel they have too, but I haven't tried them yet. I just put a humidifier in my room and I'm trying to see if that helps at all.

I also saw some info on 'moisture chamber goggles.' One woman in a YouTube video was just putting a cutout of plastic wrap around her eye and sealing it with surgical tape as a cheap alternative. I'm not there yet but maybe soon :/

Comment

When I used to have extremely dry eyes, I used Genteal Lubricant Eye Gel - Severe both in daytime and while sleeping. It was the most soothing and long lasting gel for me. The petroleum-based ointments irritated my eyes. I don't need the Genteal anymore, but I clean my lid margins like PG before I go to sleep and when I wake up and this works well...I use Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Foam, the wipes didn't work well enough for me.

My MGD is under control now, because I started drinking fresh lemon juice with green tea daily (I posted under Dry Eye Triumphs the other day). I had thick meibum vs. the normal oily meibum. Apparently that gave me what my body to correct this problem. I think it helped that I had my meibomian glands expressed and probed first. Maybe this might work for you if you have something similar.

Comment

Working...
        X