This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nighttime ointments clog glands

I have a question regarding using overnight ointments, specifically white petrolatum (97%) with (3%) lanolin.

Some drs have theorized (Dr. Latakany) that these ointments might clog the meibomian glands.

Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

I have MGD and mild blepharitis and this is the only treatment that helps with my blurriness and dryness but I have woken up with pain/inflammation in my eyelids.

I'm worried about making the eyelid/margin disease worse over the long-term.

It's a hypothesis that ointments can make dry eyes worse overall. It's hydrophobic and thus "any" tears you produce is not nourishing your eyes. Yes, I believe they block the meibomian glands.

The ointments helps me too, because they last longer than the gels and drops. But bottom line, you're just treating the symptoms and not causes. Furthermore, you're treating "symptoms" with an age old "goop" that's simply a thick covering of grease over the eyes. It makes no sense.

Rather, use a thick gel such as Poly Gel, Celluvisc.
    Last edited by DCRdryeye; 16-Oct-2013, 17:35.

Comment

Can you find a lanolin free ointment ? This made my eyes burned. i think if it helps u sleep and nothing else works then we have no choice but to use it. sleep is important and if i used drops during night i would wake every few hours . I feel better and my eyes look better with a good night sleep and i have a higher pain threshold to deal with eye pain.
      http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Or, you might try sleeping with moisture chamber goggles.

Comment

Tried the tranquileye, it did nothing.. I'm not sure who benefits from it but it's not me!

Comment

all this hypothesizing and postulating...

wish a doctor or several put their name on the line and flat out say so with proof.

it's the only thing I can use at night without waking up w/ "sand" in my eye AND not have to wake up to reapply.

will celluvisc last the night through?

tranquileye goggles flat out suck. I can't believe that something that looks like it was designed by my 8 yr. old is the best we've got. they are poorly made and dry eye sufferers have to settle. "it's ok, just sew the head band portion" OR "It doesn't hold well, but a little superglue to keep the components in place is good enough".

seems like w/ dry eye it's a constant barrage of "good enough". well, genteal night ointment and the like are "good enough". until someone actually comes out and legitimizes the claim they make, it's all postulating.

sorry for the "short" response, but that's what I see a lot of here.

Comment

Hypothesizing and postulating

I could not agree with you more - it's the only thing that allows me to see properly and reduces pain, I'm just going to do it...

I tried the celluvisic, not even close to the same effect. Tranquileyes are horrible and I can't believe the cost of what is essentially a pair of goggles.. argh

I don't think doctors fully understand the whole mechanism, it's just more of a throw a bunch of things at it and see what sticks/works approach and by that logic, I'm sticking with the ointment.

Thanks for your response.

Originally posted by DryInUpstateNY View Post
              all this hypothesizing and postulating...

wish a doctor or several put their name on the line and flat out say so with proof.

it's the only thing I can use at night without waking up w/ "sand" in my eye AND not have to wake up to reapply.

will celluvisc last the night through?

tranquileye goggles flat out suck. I can't believe that something that looks like it was designed by my 8 yr. old is the best we've got. they are poorly made and dry eye sufferers have to settle. "it's ok, just sew the head band portion" OR "It doesn't hold well, but a little superglue to keep the components in place is good enough".

seems like w/ dry eye it's a constant barrage of "good enough". well, genteal night ointment and the like are "good enough". until someone actually comes out and legitimizes the claim they make, it's all postulating.

sorry for the "short" response, but that's what I see a lot of here.

Comment

Working...
              X