Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refresh Optive Mega-3 (Omega 3 Flaxseed Oil eye drop)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh Optive Mega-3 (Omega 3 Flaxseed Oil eye drop)

A new eye drop in the Refresh series with the added ingredient of omega 3 flaxseed oil (as an eye drop rather than an oral supplement). It just hit the US over the counter market this month so as I'm in UK I have no personal experience. As it is an oil-based drop may be helpful for people with MGD.

Ingredients:
    Carboxymethylcellulose sodium 0.5%
    Glycerin 1%
    Polysorbate 80 0.5%
    Flaxseed oil
    Castor oil
    Trehalose
    Erythritol; Levocarnitine
    Boric acid; butylated hydroxyl toluene; pemulen TR-2; polyoxyl 40 stearate; purified water; sodium hydroxide

https://www.allergan.com/news/news/t...ega-3-enhanced

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...3&type=display

Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

I just heard about this product and am trying to locate it here in the U.S. Searching online have only found it at Walmart but they won't ship it and it isn't available at any Walmart within 50 miles.

I also have Fuchs Dystrophy and it was mentioned by someone on that forum who also has dry eye. She said that using it she has been able to go from 2 hours between drops to 4-5 hours. She also commented that it is superior to anything she has used in 15 years.

Comment

That's great they had such great success with it, of course mileage may vary for each person but sounds promising. Since it is an oil-based drop it may help those with evaporative dry eye due to lacking meibomian oils, the fact they can use artificial tears less often might mean it's working to hold the tears on the eye longer without evaporating too quickly.

I have heard it's tricky to find on shelves due to being so new on the market. I'm not in America so I don't know much about how things operate there but I found this site which says you can order online and pick it up at your local Walmart, CVS etc.

https://www.blinkhealth.com/refresh-optive-mega-3

Alternatively other oil-based drops that might be more widely available in America are Refresh Optive Advanced (castor oil) and Retaine MGD (mineral oil).

Comment

I found Blink Health as well but I am reluctant to order from through them since their site is designed for prescription medication. Supposedly, you order and pay through them and then show up at the pharmacy with the receipt in hand. If you look online at reviews there have been mixed results with that. Since this is an OTC medication not sure why or how that would work. Additionally, I have searched the websites of every chain pharmacy and am not finding it. That said, the person that I mentioned who is using it got it at a Walgreens in Southern California.

Comment

I'm surprised it isn't on Amazon yet, hopefully places will pick up more stock soon. I'd like to try it too but am in UK so will have to wait.

Comment

A few years ago one of my ophthalmologists suggested an OTC drop for dry eyes which was not available in any retail stores. He wrote a prescription for it and I took it to CVS, and they said yes they could order this for me even though it was OTC and they did not carry it. So you might check with your pharmacy if they are able to order it for you, with or without a prescription from your doctor.

Comment

I emailed Allegan asking where I would be likely to find their Optive Mega-3 drops and they replied that they should be on shelves at Rite Aid and Walgreens now and around the country by mid-August.

As far as dry eye is concerned I have good days and bad days. My left eye seems to be worse in regards to dry eye and on bad days I have burning and foreign body sensations and blurring of vision. A few days ago I was having a bad day and went to Walgreens and bought a box of these drops. After years of using a variety of eye drops these have proved to offer the most relief. After my initial use that day within a half hour the burning and foreign body sensation were pretty much gone and my visual acuity improved. I ended up using them about 3 times that day was very happy with the result. Prior to that, I had been using Retaine MGD and Oasis. Retaine gave me relief for a few minutes at best. The Oasis drops while helpful seemed thick and made my eyes feel a bit gummy for want of a better description. Prior to the Retaine and Oasis, I had tried almost everything on the market.

These new Optive drops feel thicker than the Retaine but thinner than the Oasis and for me, at least, they don't burn and have a very pleasant feel.

Comment

That's awesome. So glad it helps you.

I use Retaine too and it's the only oil-based drop I've found so far to give me some relief without stinging or clouding my vision for a long period of time (mileage varies though as I know others find it stings if sensitive to mineral oil etc.). I hear the Optive drops also don't cloud vision, so hopefully they also won't sting for me, bit worried the castor oil in it etc. might. Some say castor oil feels nice on their eyes while others find it stings, everyone has different sensitivities unfortunately. But I will certainly try it once it is available to the UK.

Comment

I realize that everyone is different. The Retaine didn't burn my eyes but it also didn't really offer much relief either. For that matter, nothing I've used has really helped until I started the Optive. I guess it could be coincidence and discomfort, burning and blurred vision is going to come back. My wife has dry eye also and neither of us experiences any discomfort from these drops. I know that we have reacted differently to other drops.

Comment

Dry eye can be fickle but hopefully if the Optive is helping to keep things lubricated longer then over time it might accumulate and give you consistent relief. Fingers crossed for you.

Happy to hear neither of you found it stung, looking forward to giving it a go when I can order it here.

Comment

Looks like these Refresh Optive Mega-3 drops are available on Target online now, and also can be ordered internationally via intl.target.com. I have no idea how well the international site works since I live in the U.S., but thought I'd pass this on if someone wants to give it a try.

I pulled the drops up for UK, and it looks like they are available for sale:

https://intl.target.com/p/refresh-op...56#lnk=sametab

The country can be selected from the main intl.target.com screen (if a country is already shown in upper right corner, select it to get pull down menu of all available countries), and then do a search to see if the drops or whatever product you are looking for is available for delivery in your country.

https://intl.target.com/

If someone tries this international site outside the U.S., let us know if it works or not. Target has decent prices and carries several eye drops, so could be a good option to get drops and other items from the U.S. which are not available in other countries.

Comment

Just bought this for $16.99 at Target in the USA. I am not impressed. No eyedrop works for me for more than a few min before I feel "dry" again. The only drop that actually gave me substantial amount of relief was FreshKote, but I don't use it anymore because it's not preservative-free. I do like Refresh Mega more than Retaine, however, because Retaine made my eyes feel (even more) sore for some reason.

Comment

It's now on Amazon US and the DryEyeShop for those struggling to get it still. For those in UK like me it *just* falls under the limit for avoiding import customs fees (customs limit is £15). I'm willing to give anything a go at least once just in case as we are all so different. If I get along with it I'll have to check out Target to see if the international shipping costs are any better, thanks for the links Hokucat.

https://www.dryeyeshop.com/refresh-o...als-p1053.aspx

Comment

Personally, I have had success with this drop. It is the only one that has given me relief with the 7-8 that I have tried.

Comment

Working...
                            X