Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eye drops casuing eyelashes to grow inwards?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eye drops casuing eyelashes to grow inwards?

I have been having a dry eye problem for a couple months now but over the last month or so its mostly in one eye. So I have mostly just been putting eye drops in that one eye. When I wake up I put 1 or sometimes 2 whole vials of refresh plus vials in my left eye becasue it feels real dry. Recently I noticed a couple eye lashes on my left upper eyelid growing inwards. Has anyone else had this happen?

matt357, my eye lashes grow every which way. Do you mean inward toward the eye or inwards towards each other or inwards towards your nose. Any of these is possible and any of these can cause pain, prevent proper blinking if they collide with other lashes, etc.

I'm not sure if the drops themselves cause the wayward growth. It may be that the same thing that is causing you to feel dry is also causing the lashes to grow incorrectly. For example, if you meibomian glands are inflamed, your lashes might grow in different directions.

Incidentally, some people have no dry eye problems and their lashes grow every which way. So when you say you noticed that they are growing inwards, does that mean you hadn't been monitoring them before or that they weren't growing inwards before?

Comment

Originally posted by NotADryEye View Post
      matt357, my eye lashes grow every which way. Do you mean inward toward the eye or inwards towards each other or inwards towards your nose. Any of these is possible and any of these can cause pain, prevent proper blinking if they collide with other lashes, etc.

I'm not sure if the drops themselves cause the wayward growth. It may be that the same thing that is causing you to feel dry is also causing the lashes to grow incorrectly. For example, if you meibomian glands are inflamed, your lashes might grow in different directions.

Incidentally, some people have no dry eye problems and their lashes grow every which way. So when you say you noticed that they are growing inwards, does that mean you hadn't been monitoring them before or that they weren't growing inwards before?
      I mean growing inward, towards the eye. This has not happened before. I am debating going to the eye doctor to have a couple plucked out. It's not causing me pain right now but I wonder if will down the line if I don't have them plucked out. What do you guys think are there any risks to having a couple pulled out by the eye doctor?

Comment

HI
        i have lashes pulled out often at the eye doctor. it isn't too painful really. The lashes are tiny an grow towards my eye. My eye feels uncomfortably 'dry' when the tiny lashes reach the eye but the feeling is actually more of the lashes scratching the eye surface. If the lashes grow inward toward the eye and do not curl, then it is painful.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaMo View Post
          HI
          i have lashes pulled out often at the eye doctor. it isn't too painful really. The lashes are tiny an grow towards my eye. My eye feels uncomfortably 'dry' when the tiny lashes reach the eye but the feeling is actually more of the lashes scratching the eye surface. If the lashes grow inward toward the eye and do not curl, then it is painful.
          Is there a risk of the doctor accidentally scratching your eyeball with the tweezers when hes trying to pull out the eyelash?

Comment

I take tweezers (the kind with a handle), pour rubbing alcohol on them, rinse them well in water, dry them off, and pull the eyelash out. Sometimes it grows back the same way, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't grow back at all. I guess if you have twenty of these rogue fellows, pulling them out yourself might not be such a great idea! Not sure why they grow this way, and I don't have that many...yet.

Comment

by the way do you have to use a antibiotic eyedrop after they pull out your eyelash?

Comment

Mgd can cause lashes to grow inward. Demodex also. Other conditions....
                You don't have to use antibiotic drops after lashes are pulled. My doctor pulls them periodically. Sometimes, if they are in a place I can easily get to and we are sure that I will be careful, I pull them. I only pull a few. My doctor will pull many more.
                Re: risk, I don't think the ophthalmologists would consider doing it if it were risky. They touch our eyes with all sorts of instruments and have to have very steady hands. I think it's probably more risk for us to do it. When my doctor does it, an assistant holds my head to the strap so I don't pull back suddenly. I, on the other hand, have no way to hold my head steady like this.
                Growing inward toward the eye, that could be very painful and possibly cause erosion in time.

Comment

so I went to a different eye doctor today and went to get the eyelashes pulled out. I 'm pretty pissed becasue when I got home and looked in the mirror it looks like the eyelashes I was concerned about are still there and he pulled out good eyelashes. It also looks like he pulled out 2 good eyelashes on the bottom lid that were fine and it looks like they broke off. I asked him before I left if any eyelashes broke off and he said no. It looks like they did. The nubs arent rubbing my eye now but it looks like they might when they grow in more, hard to say. Do you think I should go back there and ask they remove the nubs, or will they think I'm a difficult patient like at my last eye doctor.

Comment

Sometimes we have gaps in our lashes. This is pretty common I believe. Also, sometimes lashes collide when we blink or close our eyes. It's easier for the doctor to see which lashes collide and it is possible that some of these were removed. Colliding lashes can prevent an eye from closing completely when we blink which delays tear clearance and causes all sorts of other problems.

Lashes are pretty tough. They don't usually break. You may be seeing nubs of new lashes. Hard to say from here. You might consider if there is something that makes you think you shouldn't trust what the doctor said.

Re: if the doctor will think you are a "difficult patient" - As a patient I personally do not think it is helpful to oneself and one's treatment to be a "difficult patient", just as it is not a good idea to be a "difficult person" in most any situations. But a good doctor should not have a problem treating a "difficult case" e.g. a patient with multiple co-morbidities or one who does not respond to conventional treatment.

Comment

Working...
                    X