Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please read if NOT living in North America: (re: nighttime eye ointments)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read if NOT living in North America: (re: nighttime eye ointments)

In any of your countries, is there a night-time eye ointment that is lanolin-free, and consists of only white petrolatum and mineral oil?

I was wondering if any of you who does not live in North America might be able to check at your local pharmacy if a nighttime eye ointment like I've described above exists in your country.

UK friends: Is Genteal Nighttime PM Eye Ointment still available in your country and if so, what does it contain? By any chance is it a lanolin-free ointment made by Novartis that only contains white petrolatum and mineral oil?

Thanks so much to all who help - it is much appreciated!

I used to be able to get a product like this locally, but it was discontinued by the manufacturer due to low sales figures. My eyes have slid downhill in a big way since switching to the only alternative here (which contains lanolin... wondering if the lanolin is causing this??), so I'm hoping to find the product I need in another country - I believe Health Canada will bring it in for me if I can find it.

SAAG - There are two I know of in the US without lanolin and I can find them at several stores (Walgreens, Meijer, Target, CVS). I have both and the ingredient lists are correct. The "lanolin free" aspect is also mentioned in some of the reviews. Hth!

Here are some links:
    http://www.drugstore.com/genteal-pm-...4?catid=184391

http://www.drugstore.com/soothe-lubr...5?catid=184391
    Last edited by alisonW; 22-Nov-2013, 14:58.

Comment

Fabulous! Guess Novartis doesn't know their own product line very well - they told me it's not available in North America lol

I just ordered a pile of it off amazon.com - whoo hoo!

Next, if it solves my worsening eye problem, I'll ask my dr. to get it imported via Health Canada!

Thanks so much Alison!!

Comment

You're very welcome! It helps me quite a bit (if I skip a few nights my eyes get worse) - hopefully it will for you too.

Comment

SAAG ~ you might want to try HyloGel (see http://candorvision.com/professionals/hylogel/).

Its main ingredient is sodium hyaluronate and it's preservative-free.

It's OTC but NOT on the shelves. Shoppers Drug Mart can order it for you. It's expensive tho... $53 for 300 drops.

I'm finding it really good for nighttime... better than any ointment e.g., Muro or lacrilube, and better than the drops I tolerate (Muro solution).

Comment

Thank-you for that suggestion spmcc! I love having a backup plan - I'll order 1 of those just to compare - with any luck, I can get it by Monday and use it until my Amazon order arrives - am thinking something like that might be worth gold for use during sleep on a flight too - I can't use ointment on a flight since no way to clean off the residue properly when I wake up - but if I could find a gel that I can tolerate, that would be wonderful for those situations, and easier to wash away when I wake up just by using regular drops since no soap required to break up any grease on my lashes!! Whoo hoooooo!

I SO love this forum - no-where else can you get this kind of info - it's worth gold!

Comment

Just ordered some from Shoppers Drug Mart - should have it in my hands on Wed. or Thurs - can't wait to check it out!

Comment

Let me/us know if you like it. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                  Just ordered some from Shoppers Drug Mart - should have it in my hands on Wed. or Thurs - can't wait to check it out!
                  Hi SAAG,

Did you like Hylogel? I'm in the process of ordering more from Shoppers. I took in the UPC bar code from Candor Vision's website (see http://candorvision.com/hylo/buy/).

I have been looking for the other sodium hyaluronate drop you recommended in another thread (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ight=i-drop+PM) called i-drop PM. I can't find it. Where did you get yours? Have you compared it to Hylogel? If yes, how did it do?

Thanks for answering too many questions!

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                    Hi SAAG,

Did you like Hylogel? I'm in the process of ordering more from Shoppers. I took in the UPC bar code from Candor Vision's website (see http://candorvision.com/hylo/buy/).

I have been looking for the other sodium hyaluronate drop you recommended in another thread (http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ight=i-drop+PM) called i-drop PM. I can't find it. Where did you get yours? Have you compared it to Hylogel? If yes, how did it do?

Thanks for answering too many questions!
                    It's nice as an alternative to Refresh Celluvisc (felt like it was approx. the same consistency), but since it's not thick like an ointment of overnight gel (ex. Genteal Gel), I can't get away with it for night-time use. (Tried it, and had to replace it with ointment 2 hours later.)

I got the "i-Drop PM" at Rexall. They most likely use the same wholesaler no matter where they are in Canada, so if they don't have it on the shelf, I'd say odds are good that the pharmacist could order it for you.

I prefer the i-Drop PM to the Hylogel - the i-Drop PM was thicker (still not thick enough for overnight though), and way less expensive In any case, I'm still glad I tried the Hylogel since it's always good to have options!

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                      It's nice as an alternative to Refresh Celluvisc (felt like it was approx. the same consistency), but since it's not thick like an ointment of overnight gel (ex. Genteal Gel), I can't get away with it for night-time use. (Tried it, and had to replace it with ointment 2 hours later.)

I got the "i-Drop PM" at Rexall. They most likely use the same wholesaler no matter where they are in Canada, so if they don't have it on the shelf, I'd say odds are good that the pharmacist could order it for you.

I prefer the i-Drop PM to the Hylogel - the i-Drop PM was thicker (still not thick enough for overnight though), and way less expensive In any case, I'm still glad I tried the Hylogel since it's always good to have options!
                      I haven't found an ointment that I can tolerate... for some reason, ointments leave my eye surfaces "heavy", dry and irritated the next day. Oh well.

I use HyloGel under Glad Press N Seal at night. When I wake and my eyes feel dry (the norm for me), I put in some Muro drops. Do you cover your eyes after putting in ointment?

I'm going to try to find i-Drop PM. I'd like to compare (efficacy and cost). Altho when I did the math, HyloGel doesn't cost too much considering I get 300 drops per container... and it's preservative free... and my eyes tolerate it (most imp!).

Thanks for the info, SAAG.

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                        Thanks for the info, SAAG.
                        No problem!

Comment

Working...
                        X