Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for HA drops that do not sting...please help

http://www.scopeophthalmics.com/?ec=dry-eye-products

I've been looking at some of these products and am looking to find something similar that is available in the U.S. that I can try. I have got the most inflamed eyes you've ever seen right now. I don't know if it is the phosphate ingredients or what that is part of the problem in my current HA drops (or maybe there just isn't enough HA?), but these have HA and what seems to be pretty gentle ingredients. I am a severe case like most on this forum. My lids end up sore and very red even after just a couple of applications of my current drops, which are also preservative free. Do you think the company would ship to me if I asked really nice? : )

Any opinions on these or other U.S. available products? Pretty desperate right now...

Those drops have a low concentration of HA it appears. Unfortunately due to FDA regulations there are very limited number of HA drops available in the US.

Comment

Thank you, indrep. I don't know if the drops I am using (or any drops for that matter) just make matters worse by holding the inflamed tear film on the eye surface longer. Cannot seem to beat the inflammatory cycle right now...a few weeks off steroid drops I'm usually ok for a bit and then it all starts back up again, especially if there are any sudden weather changes.

Comment

can you get hylo tears in the U.S.? These do not sting for me... also can't you use a maintenance drop with the steroid, say 1-2 days per week to keep the inflammation down? I can't recall if you had problems with the steroids or not? Also oasis tears work for me to, but i like hylo better.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
          can you get hylo tears in the U.S.? These do not sting for me... also can't you use a maintenance drop with the steroid, say 1-2 days per week to keep the inflammation down? I can't recall if you had problems with the steroids or not? Also oasis tears work for me to, but i like hylo better.
          Faith, I did do some searching last night for Hylo tears and found a site that will do international shipping. From the description, they look pretty gentle:

"Hylo Tear is a sterile preservative-free solution containing 0.1% sodium hyaluronate, a citrate buffer, sorbitol and water. Hlyo Tear is a lubricating eye drop for treating all symptoms of dry eye sensation."

I am glad to see you like these. My other drops are ok for use on my good days but I may need something gentler for flared up days. I don't see any ingredients that say phosphate or sodium (it just seems like those ingredients would burn!).

I was told to stay off steroid drops due to raised eye pressure. I was on a really strong steroid for an extended period (aggressive dosing for 4 wks) which caused it, because I had never had raised pressure before. Right now, I don't think there is any way to convince doc to give me a weaker one for maintenance. Kind of a bummer.

Comment

Alrex is a very low dose and helps me, but I know what you mean.. The doctor is just being careful now. Are you taking supplements? I just ordered maxi tears, and am taking prn fish oil.. Also going to start taking lysiene soon for rosacea.

I am also frustrated having to put in tears every half hour, more if I'm out and about. Have you found anything else that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
              Alrex is a very low dose and helps me, but I know what you mean.. The doctor is just being careful now. Are you taking supplements? I just ordered maxi tears, and am taking prn fish oil.. Also going to start taking lysiene soon for rosacea.

I am also frustrated having to put in tears every half hour, more if I'm out and about. Have you found anything else that helps?
              I am taking supplements. Fish oil (2-3 grams), 2 krill oil tabs (probably going to stop those since it is so expensive) and curcumin 450 mg tabs twice daily. I am a bit skeptical on the curcumin, but will try a month and see. 3g melatonin for sleep. No sophisticated diet to speak of, but stuff like soy/tofu, nuts, french fries, fructose, and for whatever reason, tea (the tannins dry out my mouth and throat), make me feel bad.

Adding a very gentle lid massage to warmed lids (just lightly press over tops with a q tip) in the middle of the day can offer some short term relief. Getting just over 8 hours sleep I can definitely see a difference in symptoms. Eyes look and feel so much better on weekends.

Persistent COLD is the worst, though. Dry heat can be rough, too, but I think cold literally stops the oils flowing in their tracks. Wherever I was over these past two weeks, I just could not get warm enough! Drafts seemed to be everywhere with the 30mph wind gusts. I don't know how the Midwesterners and Canadians do it!

Comment

Working...
              X