• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SYSTANE® Lubricant Eye Gel

Does Systane Gel better then Genteal ?

Very interesting post below.

http://www.systane.com/Systane-Lubricant-Eye-Gel.aspx

Went to the eye doc this week (opthamologist). He said NOT to use genteal eye drops and gel any more? This is the first I'd heard of this. He said the doctors in San Francisco are finding out that it causes problems with the tissue of the eyes. Any one else heard of this? He recommended Systane instead. ?

Here is from my Doctor

In recent weeks, I have observed the same phenomenon with Genteal Gel and have taken all patients off this product. I believe its preservative formula is toxic to ocular tissues. Systane Gel is fine but I prefer Blink Gel, personally.

Comment

I had not heard of the Systane Gel or of any of the probelms with Genteal Gel.

I used the Genteal for a bit years ago but not at all recently. How frustrating for those who've used it regularly though! Dry eye disease is hard enough to treat that we don't need anything making it more difficult for us.

Comment

Agree !! One day they say it is good think..next day it is a bad think ..OMG

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
          Went to the eye doc this week (opthamologist). He said NOT to use genteal eye drops and gel any more? This is the first I'd heard of this. He said the doctors in San Francisco are finding out that it causes problems with the tissue of the eyes. Any one else heard of this? He recommended Systane instead. ?
          Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to use Genteal as my dr. wants me to, and it was really bothering my eyes. Have you tried the Systane yet? All the Alcon products I've tried have been superior so I have high hopes for this.

Comment

re: Genteal Gel's preservative formula is toxic to ocular tissues? Huh? Does anyone have a link to any of these recent studies that claim this? This comes as quite a shock, as that is the one drop that I have always liked, and still use (and depend on) with regularity.

Comment

Did you ask you doctor what problems with the tissue they were having. Was there any research done on this. Can you share the doctors name with me so I can ask him about it.

Comment

That's interesting. I have tried Genteal Gel a couple of times in the past and both times it SEVERELY irritated my eyes. My eyes were very bloodshot, irritated and it took about two days to return to normal.

Comment

I would very much like to know the doctors name who recommends his patients not use Genteal Gel as it is so far the best product that works to hold my lids closed at night and that has been a God send. At the Dry Eye Support Group I co-conduct we have nearly 200 members and about 15 doctors who come to speak - and I don't want to recommend something that could potentially damage any ones eyes in using the GenTeal Gel. Could you please share with me his name and location so I might contact him. Thanks so much for your help,

Comment

Could you please share with me your doctors name who suggested Gen Teal Gel was harmful. I would like to ask for more information about this. I have a dry eye support group I co-cordinate and wouldnt want to recommend any this to our members that could be harmful to them. We have nearly 200 members and 15 + doctors so it important to let them know what the possible problems could be. Thantks for your help. WWW.DryEyeSupportGroup.org

Comment

Working...
                    X