Preservative Free Drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservative Free Drops

I'm sure the answer is elsewhere, but haven't been able to find it. The question is...Can preservative free drops be used more than once? I use restasis, keep it in the fridge and use it till it's gone. Can I do the same with other preservative free drops...thanks

Max, what do you think the dangers of doing that might be? I'm sure people do it... but very carefully to avoid contamination, even cross-contamination from eye to eye. If the nozzle touches anything, especially around the eye, I do throw it away even if the cost breaks my heart
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
      Max, what do you think the dangers of doing that might be? I'm sure people do it... but very carefully to avoid contamination, even cross-contamination from eye to eye. If the nozzle touches anything, especially around the eye, I do throw it away even if the cost breaks my heart
      The danger would be an infection. I try to be careful to not let the tip touch ANYTHING except the cap. If it does I throw it away. So it sounds like you do the same. I've been doing it with restasis for quite awhile, but didn't want to assume I could reuse the pfd's as well...thanks

Comment

Hi Max,
        I use an opened vial within 24 hours. If it's around longer than that, I throw it away. I've done this for four years and have had no problems. That's not to say there couldn't be a problem, just that I have never had a problem. Yet.

Comment

I use something called Hylocomod, which has a pump system inside to prevent contamination. Havent been using it for a long time yet, but it seems to be working.

Comment

I am buying a new preservative-free pump eyedrop every 1m because I don't trust it after that, even when the info says OK for longer. I think when they are carried in the school bag, for example, they get too warm and the outside gets dirty.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I re-cap my PF drops and use the vial until it's empty. But, I am ultra paranoid about not touching the dropper tip or portion of the cap that will touch the tip to anything, not coughing or sneezing on it etc - If I do, I toss it in the trash.

Comment

I would agree with what everyone has already noted
                - Don't let the nozzle touch anything
                - Recapping is Ok. I do this with Restasis as well as tears, whether they are PF or not.
                Keep them away from the sink or other areas that could be bacteria-rich.
                Wash hands before and after using.

Comment

Working...
                X