This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies/Sensitivties in Prescription & Over-the-Counter Drops

I was interested in finding out what people are allergic or sensitive to in the ingredients both active & inactive used in prescription & over-the-counter eye drops. I only use preservative free single use vials.

*Restatsis* tried 3x over 10 years, can't tolerate, makes eyes worse.

*Boric Acid* in the ingredient list, burning sensation instantly, causes increase inflammation. (ex: Systane Ultra, Refresh Optive Sensitive, Blink, Unisol Saline)

*Lotemax* (not sure if it's BAK?)

I guess those products you mention are American. Here in the UK - I have not got on well with hypermellose drops which sting. The best ones for me are the gels: Lumecare Eye gel, Carbomer, Viscotears - they are a bit thick but the eyes soon clear and the drops last much longer. I use them at night.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkle_eyes View Post
      I guess those products you mention are American. Here in the UK - I have not got on well with hypermellose drops which sting. The best ones for me are the gels: Lumecare Eye gel, Carbomer, Viscotears - they are a bit thick but the eyes soon clear and the drops last much longer. I use them at night.
      Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:37.

Comment

I'm currently ok using Optive preservative-free, but I had problems with some PFDrops Carmellose Sodium drops I was given as an alternative. When I used them they stung immediately, but rather than clearing up it rapidly worsened to a burning sensation and started to cause inflamation in the eyelid. I ended up washing both eyes out thoroughly and touring local pharmacies until I found one where I could get Optive. The problem went away a couple of hours after I washed the drops out.

I'm not sure what caused the reaction, but the PFDrops have boric acid listed as an ingredient and the Optive drops I'm using don't.

Comment

Lately hypertonic over the counter,refresh etc,drys my eyes out

Comment

Working...
          X