Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye ointment for sleep

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice.

A little bit of background. My problems started when I got a corneal abrasion when waking up in the morning. Presumably, my eyes dry up at night for whatever reason, and when my eyelids open up in the morning, the surface of my cornea gets messed up. Muro 128 allowed my condition to get much, much better over the course of 2 months. Unfortunately, my prescription is going to run out. At this point, I don't really need whatever medicine is in there anymore, I just need some lubricant for my eyes at night. There may be other solutions that I'm not aware of and I'd like to hear them, but this works the best of all I've tried. Which OTC products are suitable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

It would help if you'd say what country you are in Product availability and product names can vary a lot from place to place.

Comment

Ah yes sorry, I'm from Quebec, Canada.

Comment

Cool!

Then you should be able to find the same stuff I do...

Ointments: Refresh Ointment

Gels: Genteal Gel, Liposic Gel

Drops: if you're lucky, maybe you can get away with using just drops at night - if so, lots of options to experiment with - I'd consider Refresh Celluvisc, Systane Ultra, iDropPM etc.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thank you for your answer! I have a whole bunch of different eye drops that I've had less and less need for during the day (thankfully), as my nightly Muro 128 seems to have helped tremendously. However, drops unfortunately haven't been enough for me. Systane Ultra is great during the day, not too useful at night. I still wake up with very dry eyes, which makes me worried I could get another extremely painful corneal abrasion. This leaves me with the options of gels and ointments, but I'm not too familiar with the difference. I'll look into it, but as always, I would appreciate tips

Edit:
          That Refresh ointment is expensive if the tube has to be discarded after a month, ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by CarlM View Post
            Thank you for your answer! I have a whole bunch of different eye drops that I've had less and less need for during the day (thankfully), as my nightly Muro 128 seems to have helped tremendously. However, drops unfortunately haven't been enough for me. Systane Ultra is great during the day, not too useful at night. I still wake up with very dry eyes, which makes me worried I could get another extremely painful corneal abrasion. This leaves me with the options of gels and ointments, but I'm not too familiar with the difference. I'll look into it, but as always, I would appreciate tips

Edit:
            That Refresh ointment is expensive if the tube has to be discarded after a month, ouch!
            For me, a 3.5 gram tube of ointment lasts about 4 days - for some reason if I only apply a little bit, my eyes dry out much more - but if I really dump a bunch of ointment in there, it helps me more. If it lasted a month for me, I'd be in heaven lol

I used to use Genteal Gel - just liked the feel of that better than any of the other night-time gels on the market - then I developed a sensitivity to it, so switched to ointment.

The biggest difference for me with the ointment (compared to the gels) is that I have to use a vial of Bion Tears in each eye to flush out the ointment when I wake up in the morning (didn't have to do this with the gels... probably because they are water-based), then close my eyes and wash the leftovers off my lashes with soap and water. If I don't do that, the little bits of ointment in my eye make it feel MORE dry once I'm awake.

Of course, everyone is different, so your experience could be different from mine

Comment

Thank you, I feel like your situation is a lot more severe than mine. I don't need ointment during the day, thankfully - and at night, I only put a small tab at the bottom of my lid so it'll spread all over my cornea. With Muro 128, it's thick enough to make me nearly blind and I can only discern general shapes. A 3.5g tube could last me 3 months, if not 4... I guess that would get me some nasty eye infections though.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to go through a tube in 4 days... At $18 per tube, well, I just couldn't afford it. And even if you got some sort of package deal...

I might give gels a go, even though I haven't really had to use eyedrops to clear out ointment. I think my eyes still produce enough tears during the day, so it clears itself off in the first 15 minutes of the day. I consider myself lucky. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate

Comment

Working...
              X