Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any current users still using Manuka Honey for MGD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any current users still using Manuka Honey for MGD?

I have recently jumped on the Manuka honey train for my lids. I do not put it in my eye. I did some research before I started and decided to give it a try. I was hesitant at first as I didn't want to have another Wet Ones experience (my lids went crazy with wet ones, I don't recommend them lol) I have cleaned my lids with honey for the past few days, not getting any in my eye.

Anyone still on here having success with it?! I need my miracle time to come soon. It's been three years this summer.

Yes. I've been using Optimel for 8 months (more or less). Even putting it only on the lids, I think it helps the meibomian glands and the cornea itself. I wouldn't dare to put it direct to the eyes.

But it's not a miracle.

Comment

I have been cleaning my lids with top grade manuka honey for about a week or maybe two (can't recall) but I think it helps. I have had no adverse effects. I will update in another week.

Comment

update on this?

Comment

I apply it inside my lower lids almost daily, I also try to put it on lids for some 30 minutes, then washing it, it helps, but would probably be better to do that 3x daily, which I'm not able. I use Optimel, good product

Comment

I use the optimel drops direct in the eye. I don't know why anyone would be concerned about this and feel it is only to be used on the lids? Optimel is sterilised and approved for medical use in the eye. It does sting but only for a minute or so and there are no documented adverse effects from putting it in the eye other than temporary irritation and redness.

Comment

I have seen one of the clinicians involved with development for the product. She has demonstrated placing a droplet of optimel onto a cotton bud and placing the droplet onto the inside of the eye lid. Speeds to work quite well for me.

I have used it for a few days at this stage. Seems to work okay for symptomatic control, similar to using eye drops. Hopefully that is some longer term effect too!

Comment

I am allergic to honey (and bees). One swallow and I have a sore throat. Would not think of putting it in my eyes, but I've heard some people say it is helpful, and do know it is anti-bacterial. This is not something I would try, but everyone is different. Best wishes to you.

Comment

I've only recently started using Optimel again after an absence since having cautery of lower puntums. The cautery has cut the feedback cycle for my tear glands to produce tears. So I'm bone dry and the Optimel, upon application, forces the glands to make tears to hopefully kick the feedback cycle back in. It forces the glands to make tears upon application because IT BURNS when first applied.

I also use a cotton bud to apply it to the eyelids (where the meibomian glands are). I cannot tolerate applying it to the inner eyelids...way too painful.

Comment

Working...
                  X