Systane Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systane Question

I am trying to find a replacement for TheraTears, and was finally able to find some unpreserved Systane yesterday. The drops feel great when I first put them in my eyes, but after a few minutes they begin to glob up, kind of like Restasis used to do. It makes my vision blurry, and I end up rinsing my eyes out. Is this the polymer sticking to a bad tear film? Interested in hearing what others who have tried millions of drops (as have I) have to say about this.

Any systane drops don't work for me sadly. They always make me feel worse.. I'm not sure why ? Maybe the drops just aren't for you ?!

Comment

Hi Faith,
      You could be right. I checked Rebecca's eye drop list, and I think the closest drop is Refresh Plus. Thought I had tried all of the Refresh incarnations, and wasn't successful, but might try that one again. Hope you are doing well.

Comment

The only tears I use are: Retaine MGD (my favourite, but am out right no), Refresh Optive Advanced, or HyloGel. The oil drops work better for me as my main issue is MGD. My eye doctor said at my last appointment that i now have more than enough tears, but my TBUT is still like 3-4 seconds... I have done everything to try to increase it, but it doesnt want to budge! LOL

Comment

Not sure we can get HyloGel here, or Retaine, but we do have Refresh Optive Advanced. I'll look at that one as my oil problem is, I think, the main problem right now. I've got an eye appointment next month, and the doctor said there are a couple of other things we can try to improve the situation. Hope so! Thanks for the info. Faith.

Comment

Retaine I order off amazon and drive to the u.s to pick it up . If you live in the u.s you can just order them! Hylo gel I'm not sure? I got mine at a pharmacy in Ottawa.. They are nothing special lol but the retaine is in my opinion! Are you still using the cliradex? I remember it used to help me, I should start again At my last appointment my doc gave me a cortisone ointment, I try not to use it but it helps a lot

Comment

Thanks Faith! I'll give the Retaine a try. I finished two boxes of Cliradex, and now use it occasionally. It did help, but alas, I still have serious oil problems. It is worse in my right eye. The glands are really blocked. Sounds like you are trying some new stuff. Rock on, girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                Retaine I order off amazon and drive to the u.s to pick it up . If you live in the u.s you can just order them! Hylo gel I'm not sure? I got mine at a pharmacy in Ottawa.. They are nothing special lol but the retaine is in my opinion! Are you still using the cliradex? I remember it used to help me, I should start again At my last appointment my doc gave me a cortisone ointment, I try not to use it but it helps a lot
                Does anyone know whether it is possible/legal to get retaine in Australia eg by ordering off amazon? And does this product not contain phosphates like HyloGel? I can't find the full list of non-active ingredients on retaine. It does seem like it is a "different" drop that might be worth trying?

I am a bit concerned after reading the hylogel information that phosphates can cause calcium deposits on the cornea when patients have damaged corneas. I had never heard of this before. It seems the issue has been played down because it is "rare" with only one case per 10,000 bottles of eye drops sold. However, out of those 10,000 bottles, a lot of patients don't have significant corneal issues, and/or don't use the drops long term and/or don't use drops more than a few times a day. I also calculated that over my lifetime I will use about the equivalent of 7,500 bottles of eye drops so statistically this problem could certainly happen to me...

I go through a tube of genteal gel every few days and this does contain phosphates. But there doesn't seem to be an equivalent product without phosphates on the market here in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                X