Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better to use eyedrops or not use eyedrops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better to use eyedrops or not use eyedrops?

As a general question, i'm referring to the use of preservative and non preservative drops.....

Is it better for your eyes to just live with severe dry eye? Does it do more damage by leaving them alone? Or do they need something to keep them moist? Freshkote is the only one that helps me.......and i don't overuse it so i don't really get rebound effects ......but is it just better to just deal with it in the long run? or do they need something that gives them temporary relief. Thanks.

Depends what you mean by severe dry eye: severe disease, clinically speaking, or severe symptoms only?

Have to keep in mind there's a huge range of medical situations here. What helps one person might hurt another. Those who have severe discomfort but no serious clinical conditions can pick and choose about eyedrops based on what actually helps them feel better, but for example somebody with severe aqueous deficient dry eye might definitely put their corneas at risk by not lubricating them frequently.

It's a good point you're making though, because there's a big distinction between using drops for comfort, and using them as a medical necessity. An awful lot of people use artificial tears as a sort of painkiller (which may , or may not work), not necessary lubricants.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Depends what you mean by severe dry eye: severe disease, clinically speaking, or severe symptoms only?

Have to keep in mind there's a huge range of medical situations here. What helps one person might hurt another. Those who have severe discomfort but no serious clinical conditions can pick and choose about eyedrops based on what actually helps them feel better, but for example somebody with severe aqueous deficient dry eye might definitely put their corneas at risk by not lubricating them frequently.

It's a good point you're making though, because there's a big distinction between using drops for comfort, and using them as a medical necessity. An awful lot of people use artificial tears as a sort of painkiller (which may , or may not work), not necessary lubricants.
      thank you!.....yeah its just that i hear so many conflicting answers some say drops help them in the present but later in the day the eyes just get more red and dry........and ive heard some say drops are the only thing that helps them

Comment

Working...
      X