Question about homeopathic formulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about homeopathic formulas

I got the Tears Again liposome lid spray on Tuesday and used it half a dozen times since then. I wonder if it is suppose to help with tear formation in the long run or just work while using it. I am not sure yet how it works for me. It may take time.

I am wondering if anyone has tried either of these 2 products:

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1547

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1508
    (there is a mens formula too)

The womens (and mens) homepathic formula above is also sold here:

http://healingwithin.com/findproduct.htm

You have to type in "dry eyes" in the search, the link won't go directly to the product. But when you do, this is what it says, and this is one place that talks about artificial drops making our eyes produce less tears on their own. I have not heard this before and wonder if it could be true at all and if it is true, does it apply to preservative free drops too?

Dry Eye Treatment for Women, 15ml

Price: $15.00, 15ml

Dry Eye Treatments Specifically for Women
    Homeopathic eye drops with separate specific formulas to address the unique dryness patterns experienced by each gender. Women often experience dryness related to hormone imbalance or fluctuation.

For women, we add to our base formula,Sepia and Pulsatila, the two most common homeopathic prescriptions for women with this condition.

For men, we add the two most common male remedies associated with dryness, homeopathic Sulfur and Nux v.See product 592V

Both drops are sterile, non preserved, buffered ophthalmic solutions containing seven homeopathic ingredients micro-diluted to potencies between 5x and 12x. The "Dry Eye Drops" are indicated to alleviate general symptoms of dryness, irritation, sensation of grittiness. and general eye sensitivity. They are also indicated for watering (tearing) secondary to dry eye.

Contraindications: None known.

Drug interactions: None knownOne or two drops in each eye as often as symptoms indicate. In extreme case of dryness, for example, the drops might be used hourly in the beginning and usage decreased as the condition improves until drops are no longer needed. Reapply drops at the first sign of symptoms returning.

NatO'S philosophy on treating dry eye:

Dry eye is a chronic condition expressed as the bodies inactivity in producing any or all of the different tear film components or in maintaining cell health on the comeal surface. We believe replacing fluids (artificial tears) allows the body to reduce its own moisturizing efforts and therefor is contrary to the healing process. NatO drops work in the opposite direction. They contain micro dilutions of ingredients that are known to cause dryness if ingested in large (toxic) doses. The body identifies the essence of these ingredients and responds as if they were actually present that is by counteracting a perceived threat and increasing tear production appropriately.

Differential advantages:

Homeopathic eye drops have the advantage of relieving the symptoms by healing the underlying cause, rather than ******g symptoms or artificially replacing fluids. Side effects are unheard of. Homeopathic mechanism of action: While the exact mechanism of action is not presently understood, homeopathic medicines are thought to gently trigger the bodies natural healing response. Homeopathic medicine is based on a system of treatment proven effective by over 200 years of clinical use.

Base Ingredients - according to homeopathic principles the following ingredients are indicated for dryness:

Euphrasia (Eyebright) HPUS 5x: Indicated for conjunctival and comeal edema. Symptoms include photophobia, redness, dryness, lachrymation and burning of the lid margin Euphrasia also helps treat the irritability associated with eye inflammation. Often referred to as a "tonic for the eyes."

Alumina HPUS lOx: Indicated for Dryness of the eyes and other mucous membranes. "Sjogren's." Agglutination in the morning on waking,with burning upon opening eyes. Patient is often absent of subjective dry eye symptoms, dryness.

Arsenicum album HPUS 12x: Indicated for severe dryness with photophobia and burning. Also for inflammation and ulceration.

Nux moschata HPUS 6x: Nux m. is one of the main remedies indicated for the treatment of Sjogren's Syndrome. Dryness associated with difficulty opening the lids.

Zincum met HPUS 10x.: Indicated for extreme dryness, irritation and burning with excessive tearing. Especially indicated for people who's eyes always seem to be affected by the environment.

Additional Ingredients Specifically for Women:

Pulsatilla HPUS 8x, is indicated for dry eye associated with menopause or menstrual abnormalities often accompanied by thick discharges. Sepia HPUS 8x: Is indicated for dryness which develops after menopause or hormonal imbalance, often associated with weakness of the eye and eyelids Additional Ingredients Specifically for Men:

Sulphur HPUS 6x: Indicated for dryness with redness, burning and itching of the eyes and eye lid margins.

Nux Vomica HPUS 12x; Indicated for dryness of the eye with burning, watering and photophobia.

(Vicki - fyi I moved this post to a new thread and renamed because it was on a different topic.)
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

thanks Rebecca, that makes complete sense.

Comment

Here's my $0.02 on homeopathy, generally: probably can't hurt. Probably won't help. Little to lose in trying it.....

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Neil. As anxious as I am to try new things, I get scared too. So I am glad to hear that at least I can't hurt my eyes. I just don't know anything about homeopathic/naturopathic ingredients. I ordered the womens formula homeopathic:

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1508

I also ordered the Viva Drops:

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1547

I'm still unclear if the 1st one has preservatives or not because it says it does because of Polysorbate 80 but the 2nd one says it does not have preservatives yet also contains that ingredient. So confusing. The guy I spoke with was not sure either, he said he would look into it. He also recommended:

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1518

It is a drop you take by mouth to allegedly address the dry eye issue. They say that if you fix what is wrong inside the body to cause the dry eyes, then the dry eyes can be cured potentially. The idea is that dry eyes is not independent of other medical issues that could be causing it. This of course does not apply to auto immune conditions that are not fixable and perhaps may not apply to the rest of our cases either. I dont know. I wish it was simple. I did not order the mouth droplet formula because as desperate as I am, I just cant take something with herbs I do not recognize. Not after my terrible experience from another Chinese herb called Mua Hang.

I will report back my experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki In Oregon
            Thanks Neil. As anxious as I am to try new things, I get scared too. So I am glad to hear that at least I can't hurt my eyes.
            ¨Probably¨can't hurt. You're still taking risk. Don't forget that.

as desperate as I am, I just cant take something with herbs I do not recognize. Not after my terrible experience from another Chinese herb called Mua Hang.
            I say this with concern, caring, kindness, and compassion: =I= would try to attack the "desperate" component first. If not, you may find yourself inflicting more harm than help.

We're all in some sort of ocular trouble here, but I am a living, breathing example of a person who (no pun intended) "blinked," or "took his eye off the ball" just one time ... and got hurt as a result (long term use of BAK preserved eye drops).

Maybe "desperate" was JUST a choice of words, but .... be careful, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and don't take unnecessary, inestimable risks.

My doctor once said to me, "You're disabled and in chronic pain. How much worse can you get?"

I found out ... the hard way.

Don't follow THAT example.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Vicki In Oregon
              I got the Tears Again liposome lid spray on Tuesday and used it half a dozen times since then. I wonder if it is suppose to help with tear formation in the long run or just work while using it. I am not sure yet how it works for me. It may take time.
              Sorry, just noticed this thread.

It doesn't actually do anything for tear production, instead, it restabilises the lipid layer of your tear film, to reduce tear evaporation. In the long term, inflammation of the lids reduces, as does the need to use the spray as tear break up time increases. Depending on the severity of your dry eye (has to be evaporatie dry eye though) you can expect to reduce your usage sooner or later.

As a personal example, my mum gets dry eye from contact lens use - she was using the spray up to 4 times a day, but is now down to just once a day after 3 months.

Regarding the homeopathics - I've no experience with the ones you've mentioned, but have heard from a lot of people that they can have a positive impact on many different ailments. Though the mechanisms for them working seem very "airy fairy", I have read some interesting an compelling things on the subject. Perhaps a case of try them out - but be wary as per Neil!

Comment

Tony, is it possible to get a list of the Tesco stores that stock it - I suppose even if they dont you can get the pharmacy counter to order it for you?

Comment

Working...
                X