This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight ointment burning

This is the second time I have tried the Systane Preservative free overnight lubricant ointment. My eye doc seems really surprised that the ointment is burning. From what the ingredients say it is Mineral Oil 3% White Petrolatum 94% Anhydrous Liquid Lanolin 3%.

Doc office had suggested I try it again.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I am feeling like the odd duck out here. Restasis burned so badly after 3 months I had to stop it. Temporary plugs I had put in only seemed to ease (not do away with) pain for a day or two.

Going back to eye doc next week with a list of tests that have not yet been done. Thank you forums.

Ointment Lubricant Burning

Originally posted by TonyKftl View Post
    This is the second time I have tried the Systane Preservative free overnight lubricant ointment. My eye doc seems really surprised that the ointment is burning. From what the ingredients say it is Mineral Oil 3% White Petrolatum 94% Anhydrous Liquid Lanolin 3%.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I am feeling like the odd duck out here. Restasis burned so badly after 3 months I had to stop it. Temporary plugs I had put in only seemed to ease (not do away with) pain for a day or two.

Going back to eye doc next week with a list of tests that have not yet been done. Thank you forums.
    This is not uncommon. Depending on how sensitive your eyes are to any product, mineral oil or not, it can cause burning. I've had the same product cause no burning and then cause burning within two months of use.

theggman

Comment

Try a different product. I use Genteal Lubricant Eye Gel, which doesn't have mineral oil or petrolatum. It does sometimes sting a bit when I first put it in, when my eyes are really dry. Other times, it's great. I do like to use a small amount of the Genteal gel with a drop of either Tears Naturale Free or Blink drops.

Good luck . . .
      Last edited by gz9gjg; 12-Aug-2015, 09:56. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am sensitive to almost anything that goes into my eyes and Genteal Lubricant Eye Gel is one of the worst offenders. I couldn't even tolerate Unisol the non preserved saline and then found out it is buffered with boric acid and sodium borate. My point being, if something irritates your eyes it is because there is something in it, however innocuous it might seem to be, that is irritating you. So far the only drop I can consistently use is non preserved Systane Ultra and God help me if I develop an intolerance to that. All bets are off on any gels. I am not your doctor but I do NOT recommend continuing to try something that you know irritates you, it just leads to more inflammation which is what we are trying to avoid.....good luck....F/G

Comment

Originally posted by TonyKftl View Post

I have this problem too! I use lacrlube overnight as it tends to irritate my eyes the least! But if I use nothing my eyes tear apon waking so I persist. One tip is to add regular drops and blink slowly twice before adding your over night oil. My optometrist gave me that advice and its helped me a great deal.
          People have recovered, so can we.
          www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

I used lacrilube overnight for about a year, it didnt help me in the long run and I think it made my eyes worse as it didnt help my MGD and I think it created perfect environment for bacteria to grow in. I used to wake up in night with gritty eyes and heavy lids, my eyes were so dry that I could barely open them. I have been doing lots things to get the oil coming out of my glands again, including putting on coconut oil at night which is naturally antibacterial, it keeps my eyes moist in the night and my eyes dont swell up anymore over night, I use this one http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sho...t-oil-60042903 I put boiling hot water in mug with teaspoon to make it sterile, pour water out and add teaspoon of coconut oil and let it melt. I then apply it with my fingers in to the roots of my lashes and all over my lids and face including eye brows. I let the oil seep in to my eyes and this product hasnt caused any problems, I did try anothr product once and I had a bad reaction and my eyes were very red and sore. This oil might not suit everyone but it has helped me with night time dryness so much.
            27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Originally posted by waterbee View Post
              I have this problem too! I use lacrlube overnight as it tends to irritate my eyes the least! But if I use nothing my eyes tear apon waking so I persist. One tip is to add regular drops and blink slowly twice before adding your over night oil. My optometrist gave me that advice and its helped me a great deal.
              Hi Waterbee, I used to put normal drops in then add my lacrilube but then I stopped doing this as I realised that you shouldn't mix drops. It made my tear film really unstable. Have you got punctum plugs?

Cath
              27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Working...
              X