Today's Tip: Saline rinses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Tip: Saline rinses

This is not for everyone (then again, what is?) but several people who have tried this recently have mentioned to me that they have found it very helpful at times.

If you ever get tired of putting lots of goop (Rx and OTC) in your eyes, or wonder whether it's doing you any good, or if you have times when EVERYTHING you put in just seems to irritate your eyes more, try a plain old saline rinse.

I use Unisol non-preserved saline (3 bottles in a box, usually around $7.50, sold in most drugstores and the major online vendors). It's the kind of bottle that you puncture with a lid and have to throw out within a month or sooner. It's cheap, and soothing. I just aim a steady stream of it at my eyes... holding a washcloth or something with the other hand so that I don't make too much of a mess. At those times when my eyes are at their most irritated or fragile, it seems to be the best thing for me. It's wonderful first thing in the morning too, especially if you get 'sticky eyelids'.

You can also refrigerate it for an even more soothing feel.

Cheap, easy and soothing way to settle down the eyes on a bad day.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I wonder if non-preserved saline rinses can be used to flavor foods...

Comment

Hi,
      I just wanted to confirm everything that Rebecca said on saline rinsing... plus keeping them in the firdge = it's precisely what I do... on top of sclerals.
      If you suffer from inflammation or meibomitis this could be prerequisite for any improvement. Certainly worth trying....
      Take care
      K

Comment

Going shopping

Hi,
        I'm so new here but I just love this board! I am going shopping today and non-preservative saline rinse is on my list!

Thanks for the tip. I was diagnosed two days ago with meibomitis and am so thrilled to find I am not alone in this. Hope I'll be able to help someone else when I learn more.

CY

Comment

Update from dr's visit

I asked a few questions to my ophtalmologist last week:
          Saline rinse: I have MGD too and mentioned saline rinse to my doctor and He said not to abuse it. Maybe a few times a week is ok....

Upper plugs:
          I also asked for upper plugs in addition to the lower ones, and he said (for my case) that may cause more inflamation of the lids but that we can try the temporary ones. Since I'm doing sort of "ok" now...I'll leave this idea aside for a while.

Ointments vs eye drops: He prefers eye drops for frequest use, ointment just sometimes (again do not abuse it)

Restasis: Menitoned that after almost 2 yrs on it I feel Restasis is not making any difference anymore. He said the most important months for Restasis are the first 6 months., b/c it works on the inflamation.He added that I could stop if I choose to and in 1-2 months I'll see if it is making a difference or not. He said some patients do well after stopping but also restasis may be helping me, it is just that I don't realize it. Again.I'll eave it alone for a while and continue using. Will revise things in a few months.

Warm compreses: I asked if I should do more than 4 a day...again he said 4 is ok more may not be benefitial.

Humidifer and Omegas are good. Googles too but I told him they are uncofortable so I don't use them daily, mainly when it is windy outside to walk the dog or when I'm doing house work to avoid dust and cleansing sprays to get in my eyes (happended before and went to the ER!)
          Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Maria - sounds like you're getting good, balanced info/advice from your doctor and that is great!!!

Question re eyewear - might be possible to get something more comfortable that fits better?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks. I got the Unisol4 unpreserved saline rinse yesterday. Didn't open it yet. It says it is to clean contact lenses. Did I get the right stuff?
              Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Originally posted by Maria1972
                Thanks. I got the Unisol4 unpreserved saline rinse yesterday. Didn't open it yet. It says it is to clean contact lenses. Did I get the right stuff?
                Yes. It has to do with the way solutions are regulated... artificial tears are "drugs", lens wetters are "devices", and there's basically no crossover in the labelling. This saline is used mostly for contacts, but it's about as plain as saline can get and many of us use it for eye rinses because it has no preservative.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

I finally broke down and purchased Unisol (non-preservative saline) and totally love it! I use it as Rebecca has suggested and actually keep it in the shower. Every morning, I rinse my eyes with it and it is heavenly. It stays very cool, so that helps as well. I am also using it occasionally to scrub my eyelids using a q-tip to apply it. Thank you so much for the wonderful tip, Rebecca!

Comment

Working...
                  X