Dakrina, Freshkote question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakrina, Freshkote question

I just started using these two drops. I like them, but both cause immediate "strands of goop" in my eyes that need to be immediately removed with a wet washcloth.Is this normal? It never happened with Systane or other drops. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by lionleaper
    I just started using these two drops. I like them, but both cause immediate "strands of goop" in my eyes that need to be immediately removed with a wet washcloth.Is this normal? It never happened with Systane or other drops. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I can only speak for Dakrina (please check with your doctor about Freshkote as the doctor should tell his rep about your experience). And I'm assuming you mean literally in the eye not on the lashes (where some crystallization is common with high polymer drops like these - some of you are probably familiar with that effect from Celluvisc).

We've had rare reports of this with Dakrina and Dwelle and I consulted with Dr. Holly about it early this year. "Strands of goop" are, though harmless, certainly not normal. Dr. Holly described the strands as a gelling effect that can occur with these particular polymers (which occur in identical concentrations in Dwelle, Dakrina and Freshkote) under certain circumstances. I've never personally experienced it in all the years I've been using these but I know of a handful of people who experienced it once or twice and one or two who experience it predictably.

In most of the few cases I've personally spoken with, a common thread was that something else was added to the eye that may have triggered the effect, usually some kind of saline. (For example, in one case a contact lens technician put Dakrina in immediately after inserting a new contact lens with saline from the little contact bubble pack, and in another the patient had tried to wash the Dakrina out with saline.) However, as I recall it was thought to technically also be possible for this to take place if the tear pH was at a certain level.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you. I have never put anything else in my eye to cause this reaction,and I dont wear contacts.Once I use a washcloth, the strands get wiped away(they are on the eye surface , not on crtstalized on the eyelash). Oh well, guess it is another adventure in DES!

Comment

I'm sorry it's causing that effect for you. Unfortunately no one drop can work equally for everyone ... hence the need for many types to choose from.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X