Help! Pain from Dakrina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Pain from Dakrina!

I have had plugs for years, but recently had pain; doctor said I had dry patches on my left cornea.

I tried the sample packet and used Dakrina one time. It immediately felt like plastic was in my eye. As the day went on, it hurt more and more; I never put in more than one drop. No stinging as the brochure said, just pain. The bottle said to stop using if eye pain and contact your doctor. My doctor doesn't seem to know a thing-just told me to put in drops repeatedly and ointment at night, which this site discourages.

HELP! Should I continue to try the Dakrina? Any suggestions, Rebecca? I just went back to Refresh tears and liquid gel, not knowing what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elegiamore

Originally posted by Elegiamore
    The bottle said to stop using if eye pain and contact your doctor.

HELP! Should I continue to try the Dakrina? Any suggestions, Rebecca? I just went back to Refresh tears and liquid gel, not knowing what to do.
    Following the instructions is the best bet. Sorry, I didn't see this post before I answered your other one. Stop using it if it is causing you pain. It will not harm your eyes (unless there's a rare allergic reaction involved, which it doesn't sound like is the case) but who needs the discomfort. Same goes for ANY over-the-counter product. Use whatever tears are comfortable for you. Re the Dakrina effect you're getting, please see this thread as it was reported by someone else recently with Dakrina and Freshkote. If anybody else is getting this, I would really appreciate if you would call our office. I don't mind people posting about it here but it is much more helpful to us in terms of being able to document and track what's going on if people will speak with us about it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi!
      I had trouble using Dakrina and Dwelle for a start - the drops really grabbed at my eyes and gave me blurry uncomfortable vision. Then I tried putting them in just before a shower. No grabbing - just a little blurriness. I found that relieved me of the dry eye pain for quite a while. I find now that Dwelle and Dakrina are generally OK in the morning but not so comfortable in the afternoon when my eyes are drier. Try using a drop of Nutratear first to wet the eye. I hope that is OK Rebecca? I sometimes have to use a drop of Nutra tear afterwards to get relief from the dry plastic grabbing feeling I get later in the day that also makes my vision blurry for 15 mins or so.
      Dotanne
      When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Great Advice, Dotanne!

Your advice was a great help, Dotanne! You're right - it was a grabbing feeling, not a pain and the Dakrina and Dwelle seem to help the dry eyes in general. Thank you for the good advice. Elegiamore

Comment

Grabbing feeling

Interesting turn of phrase there! I've tried lots of day drops and Dakrina (and NutraTear) are the only ones that made my eye feel like a million tiny muscles were cramping as I put it in. Very different from the usual stinging or itching other drops can cause.

I stopped using Dakrina for this reason, but it's interesting that others who continued found ways to make it work.

I'm going to try Dwelle for the first time tonight, maybe that will be different.
          ---
          Blepharitis leads to MGD causes dry eye?
          Dry eye drops cause eyelid irritation exacerbating Blepharitis?

Comment

Steve--with Dwelle, make sure you take a damp washcloth and wipe your lashes very thoroughly after installation EVERY TIME. Dwelle does leave a residue, as does Dakrina on the lashes. A nuisance, but does not interfere with the use of the drops. Just can't let it build up on the lashes.

You guys are being really "chicken" about using this stuff. When we (first bunch of post-lasik dry eye people) started ourt with Dwelle, Dakrina and NutraTear, we had no prior knowledge of actual people who had used this product. We did a lot by trial and error. These drops were not a miracle, but absolutely the best for many of us. They are still my favorite drops after 5 years of using them.

I know Rebecca can't comment as freely as I can (she being the owner of the site), but I don't think one trial of any drop will give you a good idea of what it can do for you. Most times, stinging will go away after a few times use.

I remember back about 6 years ago when I tried cyclosporine (before Restasis) I'd obtained from Leiters Pharmacy with the help from my doc. You could almost hear me wail across the prairie from burning after putting in the drops. I knew I needed to keep up the process to know if this would help me. It was also incredibly expensive and very little was known of the use of this pre-Restasis cyclosporin. I remember writing "this was nothing for sissies to even comtemplate", as I can still remember the burn. The cyclosporin did not help me, but the extreme burning did go away after awhile. It was something I needed to try and see if it was going to be helpful to me.

Give whatever drops you try a decent run. Like most things, many side effects go away within a short time.

Steve--I hope you like Dwelle. I find that using a lighter drop for the next dose, then back to Dwelle helpful to me. For example, Dwelle, then next time you're ready for a dose, use Dakrina (or NutraTear) for that dose, then Dwelle on the third. Geez, I hope I didn't confuse the issue. Good luck is the bottom line.
            Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

token note

Just thought I would say I'm using Dakrina and don't get pain. Stings a little for a second but thats no problem. Lot of stickyness with Dwelle but thats no problem either, and don't get pain with Dwelle.
              My dry eye is a bit better recently but I can't clinically say this is with these drops.
              Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Working...
              X