Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried Life Extension "Brite Eyes III"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried Life Extension "Brite Eyes III"?

After seeing some good reviews (and I don't know if they were legit), I bought the product by Life Extension called "Brite Eyes III" Sterile lubricant eye drops. But I noticed in the ingredients that it contains alcohol and citric acid, which I think would be horrible to put in my eyes. So I wanted to know if anyone else here has actually tried these drops. I haven't unsealed the package yet.

This is the full list of ingredients:
    Active Ingredient: Glycerin 1.0%
    Other Ingredients: boric acid, citric acid, hypromellose, N-acetyl-carnosine, potassium bicarbonate, purified benzyl alcohol, sterile water

I have used Life Extension Brite Eyes III, or it's predecessors, intermittently for decades. While I don't believe it has helped with a cataract I had, it is the only eye drop, aside for perhaps the new Bausch & Lomb Biotrue, that doesn't irritate my eyes--Biotrue can temporarily blur vision due to it's thickness, however. Unfortunately, the FDA recently, in September and October of last year gave warning letters to DR Vitamins, Amazon and maybe some others for making drug claims about the supposed inactive ingredient, N-acetyl-carnosine regarding slowing preventing or reversing cataracts and treating other eye problems. So it is hard to find now in the United States. Life extension also discontinued producing it but they claim it unrelated to business decision regarding manufacturing or manufacturing change. Hopefully they will bring it back. The same formula call Smart Eyes, can still be found from a company called SuperSmart based in Miami, Florida, and also another company that imports it from the UK I believe, under the name Can-C--but at over double the price of Life Extension. There was also a version with a different name I can't recall precisely right now--all the same formula you list from Brite Eyes III. The original research was done in Russia and those researchers created the formula. The idea is that the N-acetyl-carnosine is an anti-glycation agent, and an antioxidant, and therefore can Prie the cross-linking of proteins in the lens of the eye caused by sugar. The Russian team who put it out were the only ones who did the research, aside from maybe some in vitro studies in Japan, so, in my opinion there's not a lot of research on that, people claim it helps, and they also claim it helps with their dogs' vision, but cataracts in dogs are different. I found some research from the 80s a while ago that claimed that benzyl alcohol topically clarified the cornea (inside the eye and higher doses it can be toxic and damaging to the eye). I can't find that research now, except research that uses benzyl alcohol to clarify corneal cells for staining and research purposes. However I recently came up on this study from 1987 (below). Not even life extension was aware of these studies, but I believe the Russian researchers were aware of them and that's why they used benzyl alcohol as the preservative, while claiming that it is the an N-acetyl-carnosine--maybe they enhance each other, as the studies say the benzyl alcohol does not work on sugar cataracts.

Topical benzyl alcohol reduces cataract surgery need: two long-term double blind studies

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3332678/

Comment

Working...
    X