X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocumed drops....any tried it?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd report,

My doc (private) told me that the drops the NHS prescribe are useless (for me anyway)......he recommended OCUMED to me which I must say, are the best i've tried. I did a search on the entire forum and was surprised I could see it here.....Ocumed are a US company I believe.

His website is actually very informative:-

http://www.edinburgh-eyetests.co.uk/

Ian.

no, I haven't tried them, but I'd love to. Are they available in the states?I'd use any drop like these because the active ingredient is my favorite one, Sodium Hyaluronate, and this one is both hypotonic and preservative free.

Charmee

Comment

I am interested in learning more about the availability of Ocumed in the states as well.

Also, what other drops have Sodium Hyaluronate as the active ingredient?

Comment

When I still lived back in Europe, I had tried HyloComod, Vismed and Hyalovet (all had preservative-free sodium hyaluronate, or hyaluronic acid, as the main ingredient). I was very pleased with the fact that even 1 teeny tiny drop was enough to keep my intense post-surgery dry eye under control for hours. But then came the HyloComod scare about the corneal calcification from the buffers. I stopped using all three of the drops, since they all contained the buffers, and not just HyloComod. But I can definitely say that they were very effective for me, even though I prefer much thicker drops.

Comment

Thanks CL. Thus far it seems that drops containing Sodium Hyaluronate are used in Europe based on the posts in this thread. Any U.S. drops with Sodium Hyaluronate that preferably do not have the "buffer" that CL referred to?

Comment

YGB,

I'm no expert by any means, but I *think* that what you're suggesting is not possible, because hyaluronic acid is,well, acid, and what buffers do is adjust the pH. If it's not so, I would be interested myself about any innovative products-but that's my understanding

Comment

hyaluronate drops

AFAIK The US has only 2 drops with Hyaluronate. Blink Contacts and Acquify. They are both rewetting drops for contact lens wearers, not artificial tears.

AFAIK, Blink has .15% hyaluronate and Acquify has .1% They both have "disappearing" preservatives and are in isotonic solutions. There is a lot of good info already on this forum.

I love Blink. I always go back to Blink. If I could find a drop like Blink in a hypotonic solution that would be even better.

Charmee

Comment

Charmee,

do you use those like artificial tears, directly in the eye? Does the package insert specify limitations in frequency of use? I am very interested as I really liked HA drops!

Comment

Sure, right in the eye. They're not a contact lens cleaning solution. They're a re-wetting drop that is for keeping your lenses and eyes moist while you're wearing lenses in your eyes.

Here's a link:
                  http://www.amoeyecare.com/OurProduct...chtype=1&id=15

They happen to be made in Spain, but are widely available in US drug stores.

Charmee

Comment

Regarding frequency of use, it says to use as often as you like. However, a lot of drops say that when they probably shouldn't.

I've used Blink with great frequency, even hourly sometimes, on a daily basis since October with no problems.

I was concerned about it's preservative, Occupure, but found out that light is the trigger that makes it "disappear." So I never use Blink in the dark, and don't leave my eyes closed after applying it. I'll often walk into brighter light to apply it.

BTW, there's something a little different about Aquify. I don't know why but I feel it's not as gentle to my eyes.

Charmee

Comment

Charmee,

thanks for the info. I'm not that worried about preservatives, rather about the buffers. I don't know what the amount of phosphate buffers is in Blink, but this is what is holding me back from using the product. All things considered, HA was helping me a lot though.

PS. Hmmm I just ordered a bottle of Blink online...Hmmm...I'll try it and report back to you Charmee...fingers crossed!
                      Last edited by cristinalatina; 15-Jan-2007, 20:34. Reason: ...convinced...

Comment

Working...
                      X