petrolatum/mineral oil and dessication; none of us left behind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petrolatum/mineral oil and dessication; none of us left behind

I am so excited by what I've been seeing here, at the Zone, that I hope you can forgive my chattiness. . .Just wanted to say WOW and YES to what Rebecca, and possibly others, have observed regarding ointments. . .I have been telling my eye docs, for years, that I will no longer use anything containing petrolatum or mineral oil, only to meet with their consternation. . .I have always experienced a severe worsening of "menthol sensation" and complete stripping of my paltry lipid layer several hours after applying anything of that nature. . .When this became clear to me, I actually found some writing on petrolatum, as a cosmetic base/medium, that explicitly described this phenomenon. . .After the coating of petrolatum is applied, skin seems to feel protected, in a fashion, but the petrolatum is actually having some sort of dessicating effect. . .Sounds crazy, since almost ALL cosmetics and medicinal ointments contain petrolatum as a "softener," but I believe the dessication is very real. . .In any case, as others have pointed out, substances that either severely dilute or mechanically strip away lipid and mucin cannot logically help those of us who need more and better lipid and mucin, or so I would deduce. . .Anyway. . .all this may be unique to my situation, but just in case it isn't . . (P.S. If I sound a bit intense or testy, I'm actually the opposite. . .8 years into my diagnosis, I am a huge success story. . .Working again, starting a new "family" (at 53), and well on the way to forgetting the devastating early years of my disease. . .The Zone, moreover, only reinforces my optimism, because if we all hang together, and share info., no one of us can be left behind. . . We can weather changes in our conditions, and quickly locate the next strategy to try. . .What could be better (other than a cure (:^))?
    <Doggedly Determined>

Hi Rojzen and welcome!

What I wanted to add to your post was a very simplistic explanation of how ointments work that I had read a while ago.

Ointments ARE desiccating, just as you describe, and they are offered as a solution to patients in danger of having corneal erosions during sleep. Due to corneal edema (swelling) their eyelids stick to the eyeball with the adverse result of an erosion when they manage to open the eye. So, ointments desiccate the eye and minimize the swelling so that there is less contact between the eyelids and a cornea that has been swelling due to water retention between layers.

I don't know if my explanation is 100% correct, but that's what I understand regarding ointments and their mechanism of action. I don't think they should be regarded as lubricants, but as protectants from something painful and serious.

My understanding is that Dr.Holly's drops (sold on this site) work in the same way, that's what the mysterious "oncotic pressure" is all about - pulling excess water out of the cornea to prevent swelling and erosions, but not by drying the superficial layer of the eye (tear film.)

If I'm not correct please let me know

Comment

Muro only?

His Cristinalatina - -
      It was my understanding that the Muro-type ointment, with high saline content, draws fluid out of the swollen cornea. . .but it is not my understanding that petrolatum-based ointments without high saline have this effect. . .Fuchs Dystrophy swelling responds well, I hear, to Muro ointment. . .but I would be surprised if plain old petrolatum affected water volume in the cornea except indirectly. . .Barriers can indeed be important. .. and I do not advocate against them .. IT's just a shame that petrolatum is so overused. . .since it is, in its own right, irritating to many ocular surface sufferers. . .
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Dr. Holly is smiling if he is reading this thread. He does not like people to use ointments.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
        X