My Exp with Systane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Exp with Systane

I would have to say that Systane helps a lot better than the GenTeal drops, for me the GenTeal are too thick and just messes up my eyes even more, I found that the Systane drops provide enough moisture to let me have some relief for about an hour or 2 at the most. I like the Systane and these drops were given to me by my eye doctor here in Pocatello, Idaho for free, I am not sure how much they really are as eye drops cost and arm and a leg lol Anyway's I just wanted everyone to know my exp with Systane. Thank you Delilah

To Delilah regarding Systane

Not only do they cost and arm and a leg, but you have to throw in a kidney for good measure! They are expensive, but they really are one of my favorites. But now that I have been trying the Dwelle and Dakrina (Dwelle being my favorite), I don't use them as much as I used too. GenTeal Gel for night is good, but not during the day - you are right, too thick. The other GenTeal formulas don't work for me at all, so I don't bother with them.

You are right about this forum too. This is a great group of people and it really makes you realize that you are not alone and there is always someone out there ready to listen and offer a bit of advice, or a sympathetic ear. I can't tell you how glad I was when I found this.

Take care and don't let it get you down.

Gaye

Comment

Originally posted by Delilah
      I would have to say that Systane helps a lot better than the GenTeal drops, for me the GenTeal are too thick and just messes up my eyes even more, I found that the Systane drops provide enough moisture to let me have some relief for about an hour or 2 at the most. I like the Systane and these drops were given to me by my eye doctor here in Pocatello, Idaho for free, I am not sure how much they really are as eye drops cost and arm and a leg lol Anyway's I just wanted everyone to know my exp with Systane. Thank you Delilah
      I'm glad to hear this. Dr. Sall started me on GenTeal. Sustane wasn't out then. But I understand from Kyle that those are the only two that he highly recommends.

In a clinical study in his office we had no choice during the study we had to use Refresh. During the study 95% of the participants asked if they could go back to the GenTel but for control we were denied the GenTeal until the study was finished.
      GOGO

Comment

I like the Systane drops also. They're really no more expensive than other eye drops: about $8-$10 at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Aren't there two types of Systane....with preservatives and without? Which type are you guys using?

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
            Aren't there two types of Systane....with preservatives and without? Which type are you guys using?
            I hadn't heard that I would be interested in knowing that too. I have only seen one in the pharmacy but not anywhere else.
            GOGO

Comment

They offer a preservative free version in single-use vials. $19.49 for 56 on drugstore.com.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Soooo....the docs are recommending Systane with preservatives for frequent use? Interesting. I thought they tried to steer you away from preservatives if you were using a lot of the drops. But then, Dr. HOlly's drops have preservatives, so it must depend on what kind of preservatives they are.
                Does anyone know why Systane is thought so highly of? Is the drop that unique or just a marketing ploy?

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
                  Soooo....the docs are recommending Systane with preservatives for frequent use? Interesting. I thought they tried to steer you away from preservatives if you were using a lot of the drops. But then, Dr. HOlly's drops have preservatives, so it must depend on what kind of preservatives they are.
                  Does anyone know why Systane is thought so highly of? Is the drop that unique or just a marketing ploy?
                  Yes, there are many different kinds of preservatives and they are not all bad. (Ours, incidentally, is no more irritating than saline even with frequent use.) It was benzalkonium chloride that initially started the stampede towards single-use vials but I think there has been a bit of a backlash due to the cost and wastage.

As regards Systane: It's always hard to tell because the popularity of any artificial tear does undoubtedly depend in a certain measure on whether doctors have a continuous supply of samples of it in their office, which has a direct relationship to marketing dollars. Refresh and Systane are probably the most readily available as samples, so no surprise that they're the most frequently recommended drops. I don't mean that cynically, it's just a practical observation (any docs reading this that differ, feel free to contradict if I'm wrong!!).

Personally, I can't stand Systane, which irritates the heck out of my eyes, but then so does practically everything else but my beloved NutraTear most of the time. AND, in terms of casual comment from doctors I hear many positive reports of it. I would guess at this point it's the most likely over-the-counter remedy (available on drugstore shelves) for doctors to favour for their moderate-to-severe dry eye patients.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Dr. Sall and drops

I just saw this thread and wanted to get back to what Gogo has posted.
                    Yes, Dr. Sall told me he usually just wants his patients to use the GenTeal lubricant eye drops..those are his favorites. His second choice is the Systane preservative-free vials. I don't know why he wants me to use just these two, but they seem to work (with all the other stuff he has me using as well), so why mess with what seems to be working!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                      They offer a preservative free version in single-use vials. $19.49 for 56 on drugstore.com.
                      I saw them at Wal-Mart for less. Can't remember the price but the $19.49 shocked me so I know it was less.
                      GOGO

Comment

The preservative-free, 56-vial boxes are available for $16.79 at americanrx.com (http://store.darisimall.com/834705.html
                        I purchased around twelve boxes--and I think it was from this website, though I can't remember for sure--and the shipping was free.

Comment

I purchased around twelve boxes--and I think it was from this website, though I can't remember for sure--and the shipping was free.
                          Kurt, for that much $$, they should have delivered the stuff to your door and by the company president, no less!
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I tried Sustane today for the first time. I usually use GenTeal. I was surprised how well my eyes felt usng Sustane. I used the ones with preservative, so they must be gentle.
                            GOGO

Comment

Yuck!

I just used a vial of Systane as I have a 4 vial sample box. It's been half an hour and my vision is just now clearing. The drops are preservative free. The drops stung, felt sticky, terribly blurred my vision and were the worst drops I've ever tried. I still have 3 vials left, and will try again another day, just to make sure I wasn't having a bad day due to other reasons. I have never tried Systane before and it's probably the only commercial drop I hadn't tried.
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X