Trying Lacriserts Again-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Lacriserts Again-

I'm trying Lacriserts again for some reason. They didn't work before, but there is reason to give it another shot after about 6 years. I'll post about the actual experience later. Not many use these and seems for good reason, they don't help many. They are also hard to get. I have only one pharmacy in town who would order them. The run-of-the-mill pharm's do not even offer to order them.

Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Good luck, Luce.

They're such a (relatively) simple, quick, low-maintenance, elegant solution ... it sure would be nice if more people could benefit from them.

Neil

Comment

Hey Lucy,

Good luck! I'm sure your eyes have changed in the last 6 years, so hopefully you'll have a better experience with the lacriserts this time around.

-Shells

Comment

Lucy

I have 3/4 of a box of Lacriserts left over from my trial. If you want them I am more than happy to send them to you, obviously they are individually sealed so they are still OK.

I did another trial of them just recently and hated them as much the second time around as I did the first time.

I wish you well with them.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Good luck Lucy for your new trial.
          I had a rather good experience with lacriserts (they were simply not effective enough to keep me off sclerals). But it's certainly one of things that did help in for quite some time... not enough to stop all erosions but it does help by coating the surface a bit. It reduced the stress caused by the lids, etc... a good lubricant more than a tear substitute i would say (although it's supposed to help maintain tears on the eye). Most reports I received about them is: true love, true hatred... very few in between.

Very hard to get indeed. In Europe they were only made in the Netherlands (at least then) and most companies were wondering if they would still import it.

Comment

Kakinda (and all), oddly enough it was suggested to me to use with the Boston Scleral Lens. First, my left lens is mostly unwearable and that's the lens I need so very much. Just wearing the right does nothing for me. I can see best from my left eye, but it's the most painful one. Not sure if a workable lens can be made for my problem. I've been there three times and can't afford to do it again.

I got an email from my doc at BFS Dr. Johns telling about one patient having luck with Lacriserts while wearing the scleral lens. This is a very unusual and odd case she was speaking of, it seems. Obviously some clouding will likely take place etc. This is a last ditch effort to see if by some miniscule chance this might work on my problematic eye. Right now, the lens are back in Boston at the shop for some tune up. Unfortunately, the tuneup doesn't include a change in fit. I added this because I'm using the Lacriserts for a particular reason in addition to my dry eyes. Trying it with with the sclerals. I am not suggesting anyone should try this, or even consider it. I am merely adding detail to my other post about Lacriserts. We don't talk about them often and probably they do help someone, somewhere and it's always worth bringing up for newbies. Do not try this with your own contact lens.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

It's just methylcellulose of some kind, right? (Like Refresh, Theratears etc.) There are contact lens wetting drops that have that, so it's not surprising to me that it may be compatible with lenses?

At any rate, good luck, will be interested to hear how it goes.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Hydroproxymethylcelluose (Hypromellose) (??spelling) - sounds like it is part of the methylcellouse family.

I didn't even know these words existed before Lasek - oh what has my life become????

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Lucy,

I am sorry that you are unable to wear your BSLs. As a wearer also, I am interested in experiences others have with them, and I was wondering why you are now unable to wear them?

Dr. Johns also sug'd Lacriserts for me, but I was in the clinical trial 30 years ago for them, and they just didn't dissolve in my eye...guess I'm just too cold-blooded LOL. Maybe they're improved by now...

My lenses are wearable, but the uncovered parts toward the nose are killers, still need goggles most of the time when I am out of my humid house, and those barely help.

As it is, I am very grateful for this lens.
                  Last edited by charon8; 28-Mar-2007, 11:48.

Comment

Charon, they just can't fit my left eye and that's why I can't wear them. I can "wear them." However, when it hurts as much with the lens in than with the lens out, it's rather a no-brainer as to what I'm going to do. I don't need to inflict more pain on myself just to say I'm able to wear the lens. I am still working with the clinic on this. I was there for a week in January and they worked exclusively on my left eye, but I left with less than even moderate results. I'm getting corneal erosions from the lens on that eye.

My lens are at the clinic now for the "scoring" as it came off completely and I couldn't tell which lens was left or right and also the notches where I need to have at 12 o'clock disappeared.

Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                    X