Genteal Gel: long-term use okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genteal Gel: long-term use okay?

(I've moved this post to its own thread for discussion)

Originally posted by Danny
    After reading this, I've grown a little bit concerned about the long term effects of using Genteel Gel. It says "Preservative free in the eye". Does that mean it's ok for long term use? It's not like I'm going to stop using it as it's the only thing apart from the plugs that helps me but if it is causing long term damage, that's extra impetus for me to get myself quadra-plugged so that I don't need it anymore.

Thanks,

Danny

I had someone call this afternoon with a similar concern. It's a common dilemma, because however much we might say it's best to use unpreserved products, the fact is, there aren't very many choices right now - especially for gels.

In practice, I think often we end up having to strike a balance between efficacy (using what works) and safety (side effect risks profile). On the one hand there may be some harm down the road from the preservative. On the other hand, that doesn't change our need for protection right now. As they say... there's no such thing as a free lunch.

My advice is pretty much as summed up on the Preservatives page of the DryEyeZone Encyclopedia. I think that before adopting a preserved lubricant for long-term use, it's a good idea to max out other treatments (including plugs, MGD treatments etc). If that doesn't work, and your doctor is ok with genteal gel for you, I wouldn't stay awake nights worrying about it personally. I would, though, monitor carefully for any signs of irritation and have a thorough exam regularly to check your progress.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X