Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thick ointments such as lacrilube - useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeepers creepers - where d'you get those peepers?

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
    Do you have to get a prescription for Celluvisc in the UK? Sounds like you're doing better since you're minimizing the quantity of ointment. I do much the same thing when I have to use medicated ointment---just put a tiny amount on my finger and apply it to my lower lids. That way, it doesn't overwhelm the eyes. C
    i did the same thing last night, and then woke at 4 am, not sore but a bit dry, so instead of reapplying the gunk, i used my Refresh Plus drops - a full vial. and this morning - eyes not too bad at all. i guess less is more!

which makes me wonder - do the eyes become dependent on all this stuff, so that the more you use, the more you need to use?

anyway - today i'm going to my doc to ask for prescription for Celluvisc, not because it's only available on prescription here, but because - being over 60 now - i get my prescriptions free. if i can at least get the Celluvisc on the National Health, it'll make a major difference to what i'm spending on the ol' peepers.

Comment

I don't get on with any of the gel/oils. Last one I used, Lacrilube made my eyes stick even more in the morning, and as I have MGD I don''t want to take the risk. I use Systane drops and have found them to be the best so far.

Comment

Thistledown wrote:

"which makes me wonder - do the eyes become dependent on all this stuff, so that the more you use, the more you need to use? "

Just my opinion, but I believe that might be the case. It makes your eyes feel better by creating a barrier to air---not in the same way that tears do, though. When it wears off, you have to apply more. Liquid drops provide a barrier too, and have to be reapplied often---but at least they sort of work with your natural tears. Petrolatum ointments have the added effect of repelling your own natural tears----so they don't have a chance to work.

And too, natural tears carry nutrients and chemical signals to the eye surface---they're part of a feedback loop that moderates the eyes' secretions. Ointment or drops, applied too often, interfere with all this, leaving you dependent on the product. You have to work toward a goal where the eyes can start taking care of themselves most of the time, with a smaller amount of help from gels, drops, meds, etc.

"anyway - today i'm going to my doc to ask for prescription for Celluvisc, not because it's only available on prescription here, but because - being over 60 now - i get my prescriptions free."

I hope it works for you.

C

Comment

I have to say I agree with the less is more theory.

I started simplifying my routine over vacation up north, partly out of exhaustion and laziness.

I am now using restasis three times a day and that's it. I was told to only use it twice, but three times seems to be the charm.

I have not been wearing the lacriserts lately or using any other drop.

Overall, I have been fairly comfortable and happier with the simpler routine.

Hope my eyes are happy at the next check up.

Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

..... natural tears carry nutrients and chemical signals to the eye surface---they're part of a feedback loop that moderates the eyes' secretions. Ointment or drops, applied too often, interfere with all this, leaving you dependent on the product. You have to work toward a goal where the eyes can start taking care of themselves most of the time, with a smaller amount of help from gels, drops, meds, etc. ... C
            yes, i think that's the way: to have a definite motivation towards using less stuff, and letting the eyes recover. although, one has to balance that against the danger of tearing the cornea at night, if the eye surface is too dry. i'd like to reduce my daytime use to almost nothing - other than to moisturise after over-use of the computer, or watching a movie etc. but i'll keep up the night time regime until there are definite signs that i can ease off there, too. it's all a bit of a juggling act, isn't it?

anyway - i am pleased to report that the doc has given me a prescription for Celluvisc - hooray! although they didn't have any at the dispensary yesterday, so i'm going to have to cycle the mile or two back there today... however, i've discovered that if i wear my wrap around eye protector plastic goggles (over my glasses) - the kind you get at a DIY store, and which i use for carpentry etc - it keeps the wind and dust out of your eyes whilst cycling. i got a few odd looks on my way there, yesterday - but who cares! i'd rather be eccentric and comfortable than cool and stressed out! aaahh, the joys of being an older woman!

Comment

Yes, definitely--to all you said!

I still goop up my eyes all night long, but only have to use drops 2-3 times during the day.

And as for the freedom you get as an older woman---I understand that. I realized in my early 50's that I was almost "invisible" to the unwanted or critical attention of the younger generation. Older guys still check me out now and then, but goggles, bad clothes, and dirty shoes keep them away.

Now, if only I could get the street people and pan-handlers to leave me alone....

C

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown View Post
                . . . i got a few odd looks on my way there, yesterday - but who cares! i'd rather be eccentric and comfortable than cool and stressed out! aaahh, the joys of being an older woman!
                Oh, calli and thistledown, how very much I do relate to what you are saying.
                I realize that there are posters whose careers or age or personal expectations require a certain standard of appearance, (even if it may conflict with their own best health choices)!
                I don't mean just about eye issues, either . . .
                I mean, for instance, wearing shoes that hurt one's feet (but are fashionable), or hair treatments that look nice (but carry potential physical harm).

Me, personally, after I had Lasik eye surgery, I never wore "eye makeup" again. Yep. No eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, ever; not ever again.
                My choice was to accept such a "loss" of whatever "glamor" I had left, in favor of keeping my eye area as free from foreign substances as possible.
                One less variable, one less potential contaminent. My eyes are no longer made-up, but I accept that I have improved their chances to look clear and feel healthy.
                (Also, I don't spend as much as I did on cosmetics, and my purse and travel kits aren't as heavy as they used to be!)

Now, that doesn't make me unsympathetic to the folks who are trading ideas on various threads here about makeup brands and eye makeup strategies.
                I figure that each person does their own personal cost/benefit analysis, and in the process takes into account their life circumstances and priorities.

I started rehearsals for a community play last night. There are 25 of us with speaking parts. One of our "warm-up" exercises was to arrange ourselves in a line, from youngest (age 9) to oldest (age 90 -- no kidding)! We were asked to caucus with those near us about what's good and not-so-good about being our current ages . . . and yes, I (third-from-the-extreme-old-age-end) and my mates agreed: within the limits of the law, our finances, and our personal moral and ethical values, we LOVE being relatively free to look however we want and to do whatever we want!

aaahh, the joys of being an older woman!

Comment

Me, personally, after I had Lasik eye surgery, I never wore "eye makeup" again. Yep. No eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, ever; not ever again.
                  Totally agree with what Mary says (with a few exceptiions), but after Lasik, I thought I would be able to "paint my eyes up with eyeliner and mascara" for the first time in my life. Always the owner of -10 glasses, I never bothered as the look would have been quite garish. I thought this would my entry into the world of glamour.

Like H it was. I, too, have never worn mascara, eyeliner or the such since Lasik. I don't want anything near my sore eyes, or anything that might irritate them. Although I want to wear the spikey, pointy toed shoes that I did earlier in my life, I just can't. I can't see too well and fall too easily.
                  Taint' worth it.
                  Lucy
                  Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

... And as for the freedom you get as an older woman---I understand that. I realized in my early 50's that I was almost "invisible" to the unwanted or critical attention of the younger generation. Older guys still check me out now and then, but goggles, bad clothes, and dirty shoes keep them away. ... C

love it! me, i'm usually in paint-stained jeans, and very old and 'distressed' green flash plimsolls (trainers to you younger ones) and on the rare occasions i clean up, the difference is so considerable i get lots of attention (wanted and unwanted)!

so i guess, you just set the bar a bit lower, then you have more scope for raising it now and then!

i've posted an urgent request for info about Celluvisc - new post - please, anyone who knows, could they answer my question about PF or not Pf, in the Carmellose Sodium form (0.5%) single use vials. it doesn't say whether there are preservatives or not - anywhere! guess they reckon, once your doctor has prescribed it, you, as the meekly obedient patient, shouldn't enquire further. well - that's something else that, as an older woman, i'm learning: ask questions, be annoyingly well informed, and don't let yourself be brushed off with anything less than a proper answer!

... and Mary, i do love your description of your rehearsals for your community play.

Comment

I would also agree. I was using Celluvisc, and I realised taking it 4 x a day wasn't doing anything, andwhen I get worse in the evenings it was giving immediate relief, but within 10-15 mins, my eyes got even worse. I just use Systane (the best drops so far) when I get up, 2pm, then again at 6pm.

Comment

Systane ?

Originally posted by SallyP View Post
                        ... I just use Systane (the best drops so far) when I get up, 2pm, then again at 6pm.
                        Sally - could you tell me more about Systane, please? is it PF? in single-use vials? and where do you get it?

Comment

My optician stocks Systane and it can be obtained from some of the small pharmacies. I don't think Boots stock it.

You can buy it in single dose vials.

http://www.systane.co.uk/

Comment

Hi, yes sure - I get it on perscription, but I know Tescos do it It is PF, and is in single dose units, and I've found it to be the best one so far. Do try it and see how you get on. Trouble is, it's such a personal thing, what works for one, doesn't for somebody else.

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry Sally - I answered a question that was addressed to you. You are right to point out that what works for one may not work for another person.

The strange thing I found with Systane is that I am better able to tolerate it now than I was a few years ago - but even so, I need a break from it every so often.

Thistledown, if I had a few spare vials I would send them to you but I'm back to using Vismed for a while - that is one of my back ups. Which reminds me that I must get some more Systane. The Systane website can direct you to stockists by postcode but it's worth giving your local opticians a ring to see if they have some.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                                Sorry Sally - I answered a question that was addressed to you. You are right to point out that what works for one may not work for another person.

The strange thing I found with Systane is that I am better able to tolerate it now than I was a few years ago - but even so, I need a break from it every so often.

Thistledown, if I had a few spare vials I would send them to you but I'm back to using Vismed for a while - that is one of my back ups. Which reminds me that I must get some more Systane. The Systane website can direct you to stockists by postcode but it's worth giving your local opticians a ring to see if they have some.
                                thank you so much - both of you. Systane seems to be an entirely different composition to others - it isn't sodium carmellose, nor is it hyaluronate. i might get some to try, because the Celluvisc, soothing as it seems to be temporarily, doesn't seem to last very long. (and i was surprised - expecting a thicker formula to Refresh Plus, it actually seems very much the same).

they sell Systane here http://www.dry-eyes.co.uk/acatalog/Systane.html which might be easier for me than tracking it down OTC - especially as a local optician i rang, whose name was given by Systane as one of their UK stockists, said they didn't do it!

ohhhh..... why is it all so difficult??? i hate putting stuff in my eyes anyway - and i'm sure the natural balance is being disturbed by these drops. but what else can one do?

Comment

Working...
                                X