Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optrex Dry Eyes Drops

Anyone tried Optrex Dry Eyes Drops? They say:

"Our long-lasting formulation contains specially engineered ingredients that replenish tear deficiency, lubricating your eyes up to seven times longer than some others (e.g. Hypromellose) so you can feel an immediate difference."

http://www.optrexeyes.com/Optrex_Dry..._Eye_Drops.php

Leo,

From what I have seen in the UK, some Optrex drops contain BAK/BAC so are off my shopping list.

I wrote to the company asking about this preservative when less damaging options were available, or if they had a preservative free option that I could try. In over 5 months I have not received a reply so haven't bothered persuing it.

Therefore, Optrex don't make it through my front door.

Ian

Comment

Leo,
      Couldn't agree more with Ian.
      i answered you in another thread.
      Cheers

Comment

what is BAK/BAC

Hello what does BAk/BAC mean? I have been using these drops for a while and sometimes I am sure that they make my eyes worse??? I am curious to find out what the above means so that I can find an alternative drop/gel...

I find that hypomellose.. (spelling??) is no good for me as last just 5 minutes and then my eyes are dry again. Aslo lacrilube ok but only for night time as can cause blurryness in the eye.

Many Thanks
        Laura

Comment

Laura

From my experience with Optrex drops some of them contain a preservative called BAK/BAC - Benzalkonium Chloride which is considered to be a nasty preservative and not good for people already suffering with Dry Eyes.

You may want to do a search on this BB for it and have a read for yourself there is a lot of discussion on this board about it - don't be alarmed, just make an informed decision.

It is possible that you are sensitive to Hypromellose - therefore you may like to try some other drops (if you are using them regularly, I would recommend the preservative free options).

If you are in the UK, you don't really have a lot at your disposal, instead of Lacrilube of a night you could try Viscotears preservative free.

You can also get Celluvisc and Refresh Opthalmic or something similar.

Good luck finding the combination that works for you.

If you have any questions - ask.

Ian (prattstar)

Comment

Originally posted by eyesdry
            Hello what does BAk/BAC mean? I have been using these drops for a while and sometimes I am sure that they make my eyes worse???
            Benzalkonium chloride is the most common ophthalmic preservative. You may not be able to avoid it in topical drugs for other eye conditions (allergies, infections, etc). However it is well known to be damaging to the cornea nd therefore should be avoided if possible in drugs used on a daily basis by dry eye patients. People with chronic dry eye should avoid any dry eye drops containing it because any benefit from the lubricant is likely outweighed by the damage from the preservative.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X