Over use of ointment ? Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over use of ointment ? Help!!!

I have Sjogren's and am having a REALLY bad time of it. I am using Restasis and analogus serum drops, but find that regular drops don't do much for me in between. I use a tiny bit of Genteal Nitetime Ointment in my eyes all day. I have had my bottom ducts cauterized ... I have no tears as far as I can tell. My eyes feel ok for most of the day, but start burning by 4 or 5pm and I am having to go to bed by 8:30 or so because I can't "take it" anymore. Is the ointment keeping me from producing tears at all? I'm at my wits end...it's so discouraging. It's keeping me from having a normal life. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Best regards, Carol

Oint Oint

It is possible that thicker ointment can block gland preventing oil getting out. Also there are reports that it can reduce "wettability" of the eye surface.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

DE treament is frequently based on "trial and error" (otherwise called empirical method, not flattering for modern medecine but still) so, anyway, here's my experience-based suggestion:

maybe ask your doc if it's worth trying another (preferably preservative-free) gel or ointment and see what works best.

I once used Siccafluid (preserved) and changed to non-preserved. Since then, I've tried a couple of PF ointments and gels.

I now use a PF Vitamin A ointment, I'm doing better. I know someone who uses it (in very small amounts) during the day as well.
      Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X