Lacri-Lube overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacri-Lube overnight?

After a bad few days I went to the doc this morning....he told me to get Lacri-Lube for use overnight. There are a few posts here concerning Lacri-Lube..........just wondered how folks are finding it in the morning.

Ian.

Question

Ian,
    Are you using Restasis? Using the ointment in your eyes and then using the Restasis is like putting a drop of water on an oil puddle. It will not allow the Restasis to be absorbed.

I personally use the GenTeal Gel in the tube. It is more water soluble and will allow the Restasis to get thru to the eye.

My take on it is that I don't like the ointments. My eyes have improved since I quit using the ointments.

Billye

Comment

Lacri-Lube overnight?

I have used it for many years. Very faithfully every night. I didn't have any problems using it. I have gotten away from it only because I am trying new things. I had to use Lacri-Lube because my eyes do not close properly and that helped a lot. It really depends on the problem you are having and if that is the best curse to go.

Comment

Ian
        I have used it for the last few months and had no problems with it and in fact seen some improvement but, as always, its difficult to pin it on one particular aspect of treatment.
        Certainly I have nothing negative to say about it
        Barry

Comment

Hi,

I used Restasis twice.....and that was just before my bad few days!.....just coincidence I reckon but i've put a halt to it for now.

I went to the doc like I said after a few really miserable and really sore days...I kinda knew they wouldn't have much new to say to me...but I'm a firm believer in pushing them....and even told them that! It's my right eye.....it just gets soooo sore! It was a young doctor this time and he was pretty un-knowledgeable regarding anything but the basics of dry eye. After he read my notes and fully examining me (tbut etc) I asked him if I was evaporative, bleph, deficient aqeous or what......and he could really say for sure! Ah well! He did confirm though that despite my soreness in the right eye I had not suffered any erosion or corneal damage of any kind. The pain is just severe dry eye.

Anyways, he did tell me to use Lacri-Lube at nights....the theory being it may help my right eye to recover and be more ready for the following day's onslaught.

I haven't totally discounted Restasis......I may return to it in the future to see how it goes......I just don't know enough about it's benefits or downsides at the mo. I think I read that it helps in producing more tears.....which if I'm right is exactly what I think my right eye needs. When I'm out and about in the wind my left eye will weap.....but the right eye doesn't (i'm quad occluded).

Hmmmmm!

Ian.

Comment

What is Lacri lube - is it like Refresh PM?

I stopped using the refresh pm ointment a while ago because I had heard some people say they did better without it and everything was getting so expensive! I didn't notice that my eyes were worse after stopping so I am using Restasis twice per day and refresh ligqigel (Like liqui lube??). I did have the 90 day plugs put in aswell in mid May which have helped a lot- so whether it's the combination of both or not is the mystery. So everything going in the eye (ie drops) stays in. They will be gone around mid August at which we will decide if cauterization is the next step... I still struggle a lot on dry days but are needing drops a lot less than before which gives me hope that cauterizing will be helpful. The optometrist still says that they "are not going to get better" but I have heard from many of you that improvement does still happen 6 - 12 months out. Can you guys give me input?
            (I too have the lagopthalmus and the tranquil eyes are an accepted and essential part of my life now. )
            I replied on another thread that I found stopping exercising to be one of the worse things I could do for my eyes. The endorphins or something affect the eyes. Anyone have some info about that?
            p. I had lasik surgery January 11 of this year.
            Dot

Comment

As far as I know, Lacri-Lube is a preserved version of Refresh PM which of course is unpreserved. Lacri-Lube uses chlorobutanol and I think lanolin as a preservative, which some people find annoying. As long as you are careful not to touch the tip to anything, my pick would be Refresh PM. This is assuming of course you need to use it at all. The has been some speculation about it's effect on ocular surface wettability, but some folks really do need the night time protection. Also, on a completely different topic, exercise evidently can have strong anti-inflammatory effects on the body which can improve dry eye. And the released endorphins can make you feel good.

Comment

Hi Ian

Hi Ian,
                I often use Lacrilube as a last resort as the density of the stuff definitely gives instant protection to the eye surface. Did have some concerns after reading it could affect "wettability" of eye surface after long use. Sound like you need improved corneal healing through the night to help pain which seems what the doc is after.

BTW, was that your GP who was the young doc or the hospital eye clinic or AE again?

I like the "quad-occluded" phrase. I'm still Monoccluded in the Port Top duct.

Finally, isn't Restasis for severe inflammation cases? I understand you dont have inflammation?

Regards,
                Bruce
                Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Not sure that the information about Lacrilube containing a preservative was correct. My tube says it is preservative free.

Comment

Lacrilube in the UK is definately preservative free. It must be a different product in the UK.

However both are Allergan products (I understand) - please don't quote me on that.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                      As far as I know, Lacri-Lube is a preserved version of Refresh PM which of course is unpreserved. Lacri-Lube uses chlorobutanol and I think lanolin as a preservative, which some people find annoying.
                      While the first one is clearly a preservative, lanolin is simply wool grease (it's used in several brands actually, all over Europe, including the one I use) and shouldn't be a problem unless you're allergic to wool. As for chlorobutanol: not a good thing for sure.
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X