eye ointment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eye ointment problem

I been using this eye ointment to bed every night and i think starting to make my eyes bloodshot??? why is this happening?

If your eyes are persistently bloodshot I would check with your doctor in case there may be other factors.

There is a school of thought that greasy ointments can interfere with good corneal wetting. But check with your doctor about which products s/he thinks are appropriate for you to use.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I started using Dr. Holly's Drops and didn't use the ointment for a while untill last night. My eyes can be seen from a mile away they are so red. I'm thinking I have a problem, either allergy or irritation, to the lanolin. There are no preservatives in it. (Wool used to itch me when I was a kid). Unfortunately lanolin is one of two ingredients (the other being mineral oil) that are ALL I see in these ointments. Does anyone know of an ointment without lanolin or without lanolin and mineral oil in it?

Comment

I just switched over from gel to ointment. I am using GenTeal ointment which has the least amount of mineral oil of anything that I have found. It does not irritate my eyes like other brands with more mineral oil did. However, I wake up just as darn dry as I do with the gel. This is so frustrating!
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty,
          I read somewhere that genteal gel needs moisture in order to make it preservative free in the eye, so I sprayed Natures Tears Eyemist, on top of the gel , to provide the moisture.
          I noticed right away my eyes felt better in the mornings and the genteal gel was working much better. So now I still use genteal gel at night , but I spray Natures tears everytime I get up to use the restroom and first thing upon waking

This combination has really worked for me at night.
          Last edited by skygoddess; 15-Aug-2007, 20:58. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by skygoddess
            Kitty,
            I read somewhere that genteal gel needs moisture in order to make it preservative free in the eye, so I sprayed Natures Tears Eyemist, on top of the gel , to provide the moisture.
            I noticed right away my eyes felt better in the mornings and the genteal gel was working much better. So now I still use genteal gel at night , but I spray Natures tears everytime I get up to use the restroom and first thing upon waking

This combonation has really worked for me at night.
            Thanks much for this info. I really don't like the ointment. My problem is that I get reflex tearing in my left eye and those tears wash away the gel. The ointment stays in, but it is not helping the dryness. I sure would like to find a happy medium!
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Isis - I separated your question & Calli's reply into a new thread in the Open Forum here. Also, FYI, here is why you were not able to post a new thread in the Goop forum.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Is you are using an ointment that contains petrolatum, you likely will have problems from it. Petrolatum is not healthy for tear file. If you must find an ointment, do find one that does not contain it.
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                X