Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a thing as too many drops?

Hello,

I have extremely dry eyes due to Sjogrens (0 tears, both eyes). I am on restasis but so far no benefit. My doctor is hesistant to plug me because he wants to see what relief I get from restasis. I think after this week though he will finally plug me.

I have two questions I was hoping someone could assist me with

1) Is there a thing as too many drops? I have being using Refresh Celluvisc and sometimes think that it irritates my eyes. I sometimes get an itching sensation from my upper eyelids and was told before that I have bumps on my upper eyelids-not sure if that means blepharitis?

2) I have always been a stickler for rules. The packaging on restasis says not to use with plugs. However, I have heard people have effect with plugs and restasis. Anyone can confirm or deny that plugs can be used along side restasis?

Thx so much!
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

restasis and plugs

Your dry eye regime sounds just like mine. I have used restasis and plugs at the same time. I did try restasis by itself at first, but I didn't notice a difference with the restatsis. I was on Restasis for about 7 months. Actually, I think the restasis made my eyes hurt worse. I had this burning feeling throughout the day. The plugs helped a little. I have the temporary 6 month plugs in all four tear ducts. I haven't noticed a huge difference, but it definitely helped more than the Restasis did.
    I have had the most improvement since I started using Dwelle eyedrops and the tranquileyes goggles at night. I started using both of them about a month ago, and so I'm not sure if one or the other is helping more. I used to use Refresh Celluvisc and Systane (preservative free vials) and they don't compare at all to Dwelle. For some reason, even though Refresh Celluvisc is really thick, it only gives relief for a few minutes. Dwelle, however, is not as thick but it gives me a lot of relief for a lot longer time. My drop usage has gone down a ton. I probably only use Dwelle about 4-6 times a day, whereas I used to use those other drops every 10-20 minutes. My eyes have felt a TON better. I probably saw improvement within a week of using Dwelle consistently. I am very grateful that I found this site and I really appreciate Rebecca for her hard work and persistence to get these drops availalable to people like us. Thank You!!

Comment

Restasis

Thanks for your reply. I do use the goggles at night and it helps. I tried the Dwelle but think I may be allergic to it because my eyes got blooshot red upon insertion. Also just curious, do you have Sjogrens dry eye or other? I have received mixed responses whether Restasis works in Sjogrens with some saying it is their life saver and others saying it didn't work for them, just trying to get more opinions on it. Thx!

Comment

I don't have Sjogren's syndrome. My dry eye seems to have been a result (I think) from use of birth control pills and accutane. I may have MGD because sometimes I think my glands were clogged.
        That's a downer that you can't use Dwelle. Have you only tried to use those drops once? Maybe worth another try? My eye didn't get super red when I first used them, but they did sting a bit when I put them in.

Comment

Dwelle as relates to FreshKote

I loved Dwelle, but discontinued it because of burning sensation on instillation and accumulation of too much precipitate on the lashes (which tended to collect inside my moisture chamber glasses. I then got my doc to prescribe FreshKote, which closely resembles Dwelle, but has an extra lipid in it, and to my great delight, the FreshKote burns much less, for me, than does Dwelle, and also produces less precipitate on the lashes. Also, FreshKote, so far, is helping me minimize my drop usage over the day. . .I only use the prescribed 4 drops/day, and effects are tremendous. . .

Might you have access to a FreshKote Rx? My doc preferred me not to use Restasis with FreshKote, but since I stopped the Restasis, and switched to FreshKote, I'm actually doing better than on the Restasis (which I was on for nearly 4 years). . .

All this may be peculiar to me. . .but I'm so excited by the FreshKote that I had to chime in. . .

RE: plugs: I suspect that the only reason plugs are not advised along with Restasis is the assumption that once tear secretion increases from the drug, there will be overflow/epiphora, due to plugging. . .But if Restasis works only in a percentage of cases, then this reasoning may not be sound. . .Does the doc him/herself actually say not to couple Restasis with plugs?
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Plugs with Restasis

No the doctor didn't say he wouldn't ever consider the two together but wanted to try it first alone. So there is a good possibilty he will plug me because I am in extreme pain. I have to wear all sorts of productive eye wear night and day which is no fun. The thing is -I am in more pain now than I was before-which I don't know is due to the restasis or my Sjogrens flaring more. It is very hard to tell what is doing what to my body!

Comment

Originally posted by kcoffiner
              1) Is there a thing as too many drops?
              There are several threads where this has been discussed at length. I'll try and find one or two and 'pop' them to the top.

2) The packaging on restasis says not to use with plugs. However, I have heard people have effect with plugs and restasis. Anyone can confirm or deny that plugs can be used along side restasis?
              As with so many drugs Restasis is used "off-label" for many purposes and in combination with many other therapies not included in the original studies for FDA approval. Restasis is frequently prescribed to people with plugs. There was also a study published this month saying that Restasis + plugs can have more effect than either alone. But at the end of the day it comes down to what your doctor believes is most appropriate for you. There are an awful lot of types and causes of dry eye and what is not good for one person may be good for another person.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

A thread

I think I found one of the like threads on this topic:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ight=freshkote

Of course, eyedrops are my favorite topic (and treat when I go to the store, sad, huh?). But, the thought of Freshkote(TM) is intriguing. If the drops that I am using now do not work out, I will be asking about these.

Comment

Also just curious, do you have Sjogrens dry eye or other? I have received mixed responses whether Restasis works in Sjogrens with some saying it is their life saver and others saying it didn't work for them, just trying to get more opinions on it. Thx!
                  Kcoffinger: You asked someone else this question. I have Sjogrens also, plus lasik induced dry eyes. The lasik took place almost 8 years ago and I've been dealing with since. Somewhere, sometime the Sjogrens came along and official diagnosis last year. Rheum doc confirmed I'd had at least several years.

About Restasis and Sjogrens: I tried Restasis twice. Once for 6 weeks a few years ago and once for 7 months more recently and it didn't do anything for me either time. It's entirely I could try it again some day--as this stuff seems like a lifetime thing for some of us.
                  Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                  X