Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which version of Thera Tears should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which version of Thera Tears should I buy?

I read this "I recommend Thera Tears which can be pruchased at any major drugstore. I first was recommended this product from Dr. Nase's Book

Once tried, I never went back to anything else. They say they turn into water on contact. No preseratives or anything else that might be too harsh for someone who suffers from ocular Rosacea.[/url]"

and I think I want to try them as they seem good. Right now, Im using Systane drops.

They have these which seem like regular drops http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...79&catid=47341

and then gel drops http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...97&catid=47349

Which one should I get, or should I get both? Can someone explain the differences on these?

Also, any other reccomendations on drops?

the gel drops are more viscous and could provide longer periods of relief. They could also cause more blurring of vision immediately after instillation.

Comment

I prefer the liquid TheraTears in the vials. I found the gel drops made my eyes feel drier. I'm sure it is an individual thing. Find what works for you and stick with it.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Theratears were the first tears that I used once my dry eye became chronic/constant. Years ago, a doc had given me samples of Refresh Tears (Allergan) which at the time I really liked. At that point, my eyes rarely got dry enough to need drops and I had no idea of the horror that would rear it's head years later. In any case, having since been diagnosed with ocular rosacea, I find that I like different tears at different times of the day. I use TheraTears (vials) mostly in the morning when I wake up to really get some moisture going. Also, I might use them on a really humid day when my eyes don't dry out too much. They feel great when your eyes are really dry, especially if they are chilled. But, I think Systane generally provides significantly longer relief and find myself reaching for it most of the day. One of the problems with TheraTears and pretty much any drop containing carbomethylcellulose (CMC) is that as they dry out, they leave a crusty residue behind that I find irritating. Systane, though not without it's annoyances, won't do that. You also may want to try FreshKote, which for some stupid reason is available by Rx only. I have to say that it really works well, although it quickly accumulates on your lashes, leaving strings when you blink. Of course, if you work at a desk and have some tissues nearby, blotting off the excess after you use a drop should alleviate this problem. I find myself on the go more often than not, so this is harder for me. It really all boils down to personal preference though.

Comment

hey guys, thanks for all of the feedback and replies!

You see, the problem I have with Systane is that if I use it alot, I feel they become dryer quicker, if that makes any sense. If I start using it, I feel that I have to use it often as if my eyes aren't producing as much natural tears because it has the other lubricants there already.

I feel my eyes arent as dry whenever I don't use the drops...but then there are times where it just gets really dry and I have to use the drops.

So basically, whenever I'm using the drops, I have to reapply very often. So maybe some of these will offer longer lasting relief. I think I will buy both of them and try them out and see how they do.

I would try to FreshKote but seems like it would be too much trouble to go through getting them.

Comment

Theratears are the same as Refresh Plus, except Refresh Plus is twice thicker and can be found as a generic in Walgreens. IMO Theratears are not worth it, as they're too weak compared to Refresh Plus.

Note that all Refresh brands are different. Refresh Plus is the only one that has the same formula as Theratears.

Also, Refresh Celluvisc is merely overpriced Theratears Gel. If you want a gel, I'd go with the Theratears Gel over Refresh's offering.

Comment

Well, actually TheraTears is a little different from Refresh Plus. For starters TheraTears has a much lower osmolarity(ammount of salt) than Refresh Plus. Also, TheraTears includes several electrolytes that are supposed to be beneficial to the health of the eye. (Of course I don't know if that is true..Doc Gilbard seems to think it is) You are correct though about the polymer content. Theratears does use half the ammount of CMC, which I personally like-less crusting. All personal preference though, I guess.

Comment

I found that refresh plus did nothing for me. There are many different drops out there, many different causes of dry eye, and many different people. No one drop works for everyone.
                Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Very true. I realized I just sounded like an ad for theratears!

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                    Well, actually TheraTears is a little different from Refresh Plus. For starters TheraTears has a much lower osmolarity(ammount of salt) than Refresh Plus. Also, TheraTears includes several electrolytes that are supposed to be beneficial to the health of the eye. (Of course I don't know if that is true..Doc Gilbard seems to think it is) You are correct though about the polymer content. Theratears does use half the ammount of CMC, which I personally like-less crusting. All personal preference though, I guess.
                    If it's different from Refresh Plus, then how come the ingredients on the box are exactly the same ? (Except for overall concentration, of course)

Comment

Well, they're definately similar, but not quite identical. I think the biggest difference is the sodium bicarbonate found in the TheraTears. Did you know that that's also baking soda? I just found that out. I think it's also one of the electrolytes that is suppoosed to be beneficial to your eyes. Whether it is or not...well, that's another story.

Refresh Plus:
                      Inactive Ingredients: Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Purified Water, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Lactate, May Also Contain: Hydrochloric Acid and/or Sodium Hydroxide to adjust pH
                      TheraTears
                      Inactive Ingredients: Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Phosphate, Borate Buffers, Purified Water

I hope I'm not coming across as obnoxious. Just trying to be helpful.
                      Last edited by Eli; 23-Aug-2007, 11:56.

Comment

No, you are being helpful. Turns out I've always been ignoring the "inactive ingredients" list because it's at the bottom of the box

Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
                        X