Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Artificial Tears All Right With RGP Lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Artificial Tears All Right With RGP Lenses?

Have any of you had success (or problems, for that matter) with using artificial tears while wearing RGP lenses (that is, without first taking them out)?

If so, which drops seemed to cause no problems? Particularly, any issues with Systane?

I'm asking because I've been reluctant to pop out my RGPs every time I want to use drops. The ones that are approved as contact lubricating/rewetting drops (Blink, Boston, etc.) don't seem to do much for me, whereas I do find Systane helpful. I just don't want to damage my lenses.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Randal

Unfortunately it's a confusing world out there with drops and contacts. There is a totally different approval process for contact lens wetting drops (for which use they are considered devices, not drugs) than for artificial tears (considered drugs) and most companies do not seek approval for both uses even if the drop is safe for both.

I'd definitely check with your optometrist to see what s/he thinks about your favorite dry eye drops + contacts.

Personally I've used NutraTear on mine for years - Macrolenses and now Sclerals. (Disclaimer, financial interest, not approved, sign here, etc etc ) It's the only thing that has ever worked for me on lenses.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
      Unfortunately it's a confusing world out there with drops and contacts. There is a totally different approval process for contact lens wetting drops (for which use they are considered devices, not drugs) than for artificial tears (considered drugs) and most companies do not seek approval for both uses even if the drop is safe for both.

I'd definitely check with your optometrist to see what s/he thinks about your favorite dry eye drops + contacts.

Personally I've used NutraTear on mine for years - Macrolenses and now Sclerals. (Disclaimer, financial interest, not approved, sign here, etc etc ) It's the only thing that has ever worked for me on lenses.
      Rebecca, I, too, have used NutraTear from time to time with my RGP lenses. It has worked well, but right now my eyes (particularly my left one) need a bit more.

I spoke earlier this week with my optometrist about this. Her concern was that Systane might leave a residue on my lenses, but she seemed less concerned when I told her I clean them every week or so with Lobob. (I usually use Boston Simplus.)

Has anyone else used artificial tears as RGP rewetting drops?

Thanks.

Randal

Comment

I have used TheraTears with good results, although I don't have good results with the RGP's. Go figure. ............TT worked well as a wetting drop for me.
        Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I use optive with my RGP lenses and they work pretty well.

Comment

Working...
          X