New eye drops - Ocumed 0.2%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re corneal calcification and ocusan

here's a link to a paper regarding corneal calcification and phosphate concentration.
    Graefe’s Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol
    (2006) 244: 1010–1014
    DOI 10.1007/s00417-005-0219-9
    W. Bernauer
    Phosphate concentration in artificial tears

Ocusan has phosphate levels of 3.0mmol/l which is low and should not cause this problem.

It is availible in the UK as prescribeable

Comment

Originally posted by jlg_uk View Post
      Does anyone know if the current sodium Hyaluronate drops are safe with respect to Corneal calcification? see http://bjo.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/90/3/285

Note - I'm not saying they're not (I use them sometimes) - I'm just trying to find out if that was all long ago and no longer relevant. If indeed I have the right end of the stick at all.
      I wondered about this too. I have been using Clinitas Soothe (which has sodium hyaluronate) recently, with good results, but those studies worried me. I sent an email to Clinitas, and got this response:

Dear Ms McIntyre

We are very pleased to learn that Clinitas Soothe has made your eyes better. We are very proud of it but it is still so gratifying to receive positive feedback from satisfied customers. Thank you for this and for your enquiry concerning Clinitas Soothe.

We are familiar with the observations from Germany concerning the use of phosphate containing products in dry eye (Bernauer W, Thiel MA, Kurrer M, Heiligenhaus A et al., Corneal calcification following intensified treatment with sodium hyaluronate artificial tears. Br J Ophthalmol, 2006;90:285-8). You would be relieved to learn that these reports involved a different product (Hylo-Comod) which was reported as having a phosphate concentration of 50.9mmol/l. Clinitas Soothe has a much lower concentration at 3.51mmol/l. This is so much lower than that in Hylo-Comod, that we do not expect any similar issues with our product. Indeed, we have not received any serious adverse events with Soothe.

I hope the above fully reassures you, and hope that you will continue to enjoy the benefits of Clinitas Soothe in future.

Seeing the numbers for the level of phosphate was reassuring.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
      X