Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are artificial tears as our Natural tears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are artificial tears as our Natural tears?

Just wondering since i don't tolerate artificial tears too much so if they are like our natural tears i would think before having plugs! Thanks

Francesco,
    "Artifical tears" is a misleading description of what you buy to lubricate your eyes. They should be termed "lubricants". Your natural tears are a very complicated solution and is not easily mimiced. Depending on the lubricant you use the preservative could be irritating your eye, so unpreserved might be an option. Some lubricants are actually hypertonic and therefore worsen the problem. You may have had tried all the wrong tears first so might try others.

Comment

Artificial tears is a term people came up with for convenience or for marketing purposes, I guess. The FDA calls these products lubricant eye drops. Except if I remember right Soothe which they call an "emollient").

Have to keep in mind also that it's possible for active ingredients in artificial tears to irritate. Seem to have had a lot of phone calls lately from people who react badly to all methylcellulose based tears which have made me even more curious about this.

In my personal opinion... my position has long been that the fewer lubricants used the better (in situations where that is possible) - meaning that one should focus on lubricants that provide one with the longest relief and even more importantly that other treatments including physical barriers and meibomian gland disease treatment should be employed.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks to both....exactly i think i've tried only eye drops with methylcellulose so i think it's time to try something different like Systane that apparently has different ingredients..

Comment

Goggles. Use goggles.

Comment

Try a spray -on - the closed eyelids called "tears again" in USA, "claramist" in Europe
            It seeps into the eyes through the lids - description = A lipasomal spray containing vits A and E which stabalizes the lipid layer of the eye
            I find that is the best since it is'nt acctually in your eye
            You may find it stings for 10 seconds at first but if you can ignore that it does keep your eyes and lids moist
            I sray then rub it in with my finger - could,nt do without it
            You can use it as often as you like

Comment

Working...
            X