Genteal Gel vs others...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genteal Gel vs others...

I've been using Genteal Gel several times a day as a substitute for BionTears. I like how the Gel feels at first but have found that some days my eyes often feel worse for using it i.e. dry, gritty feeling behind the eye.

I see Genteal is popular amongst users here but wondered whether anyone suffered similar problems to mine and moved on to something that felt better for them? Dwelle perhaps? Do I need to give it more time - 2 weeks so far.

Originally perscribed Bion 4x\day and lacrilube at nights by my eye doc. I don't like lacrilube at all

thanks
    Jamie

I only use Genteal Gel or Dwelle at night. I have very dry eyes, but find these products too thick and too concentrated for daytime use. I only use PF vials (Tear Naturale free or TheraTears) and sometimes NutraTear for daytime. You're eyes might be responding to the preservative in the bottled gels and drops. Sometimes the residue dries and the "crusts" irritate the eyes.

Good nighttime care--gels, drops, and moisture goggles (not oil ointments) goes a long way toward helping stabilize your eyes for daytime. Maybe your eyes are still working through their experience of LacriLube---might take some time to recover.

All the drops and gels can upset the natural tear balance so much that your eyes can feel worse. Try to use warm or cold compresses, good eye hygiene, eye protection, and drops only when absolutely needed during the day (my opinion). Sometimes I think all the drops confuse the signals the eye needs in order to self-regulate.

Calli

Comment

Hi, I have also used the eye gels, and I noticed after about a week, my eyes were red and inflamed. so I stopped using it. I just last week received the Dwelle drops and have to say that they are a step ahead as far as comfort goes. I really like them.
      Margaret

Comment

Gebteal Ointment - PF

The only Genteal product I use is the preservative free ointment at bedtime. I've been using it for several months and find it helps. I also use the tranquile eye goggles at night and I think it adds more benefit to the ointment. The one thing I find is that when I use several drops (refresh celluvisc, Bion, and soothe = all PF), during the day, my eyes sting more. This is especially true with refresh celluvisc, and not much the case with Soothe. I happen to like the soothe PF

Comment

Calli and others, good tips there, thanks!

I have wondered that myself about how all the gels\tears that go into your eyes upset the natural workings of the tear film. It's a difficult thing because I feel as though I am not following my eye docs advice but I'm sure many of us have been in this position.

Interestingly enough, I used little if any gel yesterday and just a saline wash this morning and my eyes don't feel as gritty today.

Maybe the dwelle is worth a try and have also been using warm compresses and experimenting with chamomile tea eye baths, recommended to me by a naturopath.
          Jamie

Comment

I apply Genteal Gel several times each night. It seems as if when I get to the end of a tube, it bothers my eyes more than when I start a new one. I am not sure why this happens.

Something that helps me with Geteal Gel when my eyes are especially feeling badly is that I will put in a bland drop and then apply the gel about five minutes later. I think that the preservative in the gel may not dissipate when applied to my eyes when they are dry, and another simple drop seems to help the gel to feel better. I may be out in left field about this, but it seems to work for me.

Comment

Liz56, I think you're right about the preservative in the gel not "dissipating on contact" due to lack of tear volume in the eye. I have noticed this with Systane products (which I can't use)--if you have no tears, the drop or gel can't dilute, gel, or dissipate as designed.

So I think it's a very good idea to start with the bland drop and then add the gel.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
                Liz56, I think you're right about the preservative in the gel not "dissipating on contact" due to lack of tear volume in the eye. I have noticed this with Systane products (which I can't use)--if you have no tears, the drop or gel can't dilute, gel, or dissipate as designed.

So I think it's a very good idea to start with the bland drop and then add the gel.

Calli
                Think I will give this a try. Sounds like you might be on to something...
                Jamie

Comment

Working...
                X