Amount of preservative free drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of preservative free drops

I use preservative free drops like every hour 2 to 3 drops per eye. Is this bad for long term? I thought I read that on here that but was told that the preservative free were ok to use as much as needed.

Using that many drops is not okay. It will harm the surface of your eyes and interfere with normal tear production. (See Dr. Holly's forum for more info.) I'd recommend two things: 1) switch to Dwelle; and 2) wear protective eyewear during the day.

Comment

Thank you I will. I had always thought and told by docs there was little overuse issue from preservative free. I will check it out on the board. Today I have only used them once and my eyes are killing

Comment

Originally posted by GinaJ View Post
        Today I have only used them once and my eyes are killing
        GinaJ: Don't skip using drops when you need really need them. My advice was to reduce the need for drops by trying Dwelle, which is a much more effective and long-lasting drop, and wearing protective eyewear. Until you reduce the need for drops by trying these two steps, though, you shouldn't risk damaging your eyes by restricting drop usage. Too many drops are not good, but not using them when you really need them is not good either.

Comment

I might add a couple of things. First, ask your eye professional about any concerns you have about drops. Second, Dr. Holly's drops don't work for everyone, me included. Use what feels good to your eyes.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty: I agree with your comment that each person should use what works for him or her, and I also understand that Dwelle (or Dakrina) may not work for everyone. However, my experience with "eye professionals" is that they know very little about the composition and appropriate selection of eye drops. As discussed elsewhere on the board, eye professionals recommend the products they receive as samples from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Those aren't necessarily the best--or even the right--products for an individual to consider.

Under the direction of five different eye professionals over a period of four years, I tried all of the major drops, gels and ointments on the market. None of the eye professionals I consulted recommended Dwelle because none of them had received it as a sample. In fact, I doubt any of them had ever heard of it.

I learned about Dwelle from the postings of others on this board, and the results I've achieved have been spectacular. Therefore, I am not hesitant to encourage others who want to reduce their dependence on drops to give Doc Holly's drops a try. If I had listened to the advice of eye professionals, I'd still be in pain, flooding my eyes with drugstore drops.

Terri
            Last edited by Terri; 11-Mar-2008, 06:07.

Comment

Hi. I am on my 4 opthamologist and had also seen 2 optomatrists in 3 1/2 months. I may start another steriod drop and my dermatologist ordered me a cream. I have a ? what type of glasses are good for outside in the wind. I just am looking maybe for something to go over my original glasses. I feel I start the day irritated when I am outside and the wind blows in them. I am in ca and we have winds in the morning which I am not used to from the original place I lived

Comment

GinaJ: There's a thread on fit-over goggles that you might be interested in. I think several board members have used Wesco goggles. You can also have Panoptx made with a prescription, or have custom moisture chambers made, which I think a number of people have done.

Rebecca says there's a very exciting new moisture chamber product in the late stages of product testing. It sounds like the product has been delayed in reaching the market due to design, manufacturing, finance or marketing issues, but it's still (as far as we know) in the pipeline. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks. I bought the fit over goggles so can't wait till they come. Now I am going to look into the moisture sleep goggles. I am going to call the eye doc and ask if it is ok for me. I was there yesterday and forgot to ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X