I developped sensitivity to Genteal Gel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I developped sensitivity to Genteal Gel

My eyes get dry when I sleep and one of them doesn't totally close (Lagophtalmos). I've been using Genteal Gel at nightime but recently I've been waking up with bloodshot eyes. My Dr. said I'm probably allergic to the preservative in Genteal gel and suggested I use Celluvisc because It has no preservatives. Anyone else became sensitive to Genteal Gel?

Leo: I have lagophthalmos that particularly affects one eye, just like you. You didn't mention taping your eye or wearing Tranquileyes at night to protect it. If you're not doing that, you should really look into those options. Gels and drops will not be enough.

If you haven't tried Dwelle, which you can buy in the Dry Eye Shop, I highly recommend it. I use a drop of it in my dry eye at night before putting on my Tranquileyes or (alternatively) taping my eye shut. I am sensitive to all preserved drugstore drops, but I can use Dwelle without any problems.

Comment

Me, too.

I, too, have problems with Genteal Gel, and I believe that it causes my eyes to feel dry and be bloodshot in the mornings. However, I noticed two things that help. The first really bugs me, because it means wasting the product. However, when the tube gets low, then I throw it out. There is something about the preservative, I believe, that makes it more concentrated when the tube gets too low. The other thing that helps me is to put in the gel, and blink and roll my eyes around to spread the gel out over my eye. Since contact with the eye, tear film, and / or oxygen dissolves the preservative and converts it into h2o, it seems to help me if I give it time to work before closing my eyes for the night.

Comment

I am not sure but I think I posted this somewhere on this website

I read there was a preservative free GentTeal Gel available in the USA (I live in Toronto) - got hold of 6 boxes. Working great during the day, it blurs my vision for about 3 seconds. No big deal

For night, I mix it with Lacrilube. I have SS and seem ok during the day, it's the nights that bother me.

I read 3 websites every now and then. This one and one that's for SS patients. GenTeal has its own thread - I started it March 31st (you can read my posting and "fascinating" phone conversation with Customer Service with Novartis Canada.

http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=4928.15

Here is the Canadian SS website:
        http://www.sjogrenscanada.org/

I hope it's ok to post websites.

eva

Comment

Working...
        X