Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE!Eye drop recommendations for me based on my symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE!Eye drop recommendations for me based on my symptoms?

Please help a newbie out here. I have decided to give up on Restasis (no improvement and I swear my eyes are actually worse!). But I would like to use a really well-recommended eye drop. Here are my symptoms/story:

1) Moderate to severe dry eyes with EXCESSIVE redness, esp. in conditions like fluorescent lighting (I go to the mall or a store, and it is really ugly!). In fact, the redness bothers me more than almost the dryness does. Not a good look in sales!

2) I do have punctal plugs

3) I have had Lasik (about 7 years ago) and they did get a bit worse after that

4) I have been diagnosed as producing enough tears but having them evaporate very quickly on the eye

Right now, the only artificial tear product I have been using is Refresh Plus drops in the individual vials. They do not seem to be doing much.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might make. Thanks for helping out a very frustrated newbie to this forum!
    Cass

I would not use any eye drops, as they only reduce symptoms and do not treat the cause of your dry eye, but In the mean time if you absolutely must use an eye drop, I would use on without preservatives(especially BAK), as it is easier on your eyes.

eye drops are actually worse to use over a long period of time, because your normal eyes functions of Lubrication could become worse. your Lacrimal and meibomian glands could actually begin secreting less. I used to use systane eye drops. but really eye drops are like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound, and calling it good. when really the cause(the bullet) is still their, it is only treating the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself.

rhad

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
      I would not use any eye drops, as they only reduce symptoms and do not treat the cause of your dry eye, but In the mean time if you absolutely must use an eye drop, I would use on without preservatives(especially BAK), as it is easier on your eyes.

eye drops are actually worse to use over a long period of time, because your normal eyes functions of Lubrication could become worse. your Lacrimal and meibomian glands could actually begin secreting less. I used to use systane eye drops. but really eye drops are like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound, and calling it good. when really the cause(the bullet) is still their, it is only treating the symptoms of the problem, not the problem itself.

rhad
      OK, well what about all these treatments like Dwelle & Dakrina that people on this board rave about? Aren't these drops?

Comment

similar problems

My problems sound a lot like yours. The redness is really bothersome, and flourescent lighting (which I work in every day) really exacerbates the situation.

What other eyedrops have you tried? I thought that Refresh plus was working for me at first, but then my eyes started getting even redder. I tell you, trying to figure out what works is like an ongoing science experiment.

I have gone back to using the Bion eyedrops and my eyes seem less irritated. Also, I had ordered the Dwelle drops (advertised here) a few weeks ago, and they seemed to irritate my eyes. As usual, I put them aside to perhaps give them another chance at a later date(I do this with a lot of eyedrops). This weekend, I decided to try them again, and for some reason, they seemed to help my eyes. I take fish oil supplements along with evening primrose oil, which do seem to help a bit. Also, I've been taking MSM, and I think that is helping as well. I keep a log of what supplements I've taken and drops I've used to try to come to some conclusion about what is actually working, and what is making it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by calcan View Post
          My problems sound a lot like yours. The redness is really bothersome, and flourescent lighting (which I work in every day) really exacerbates the situation.

What other eyedrops have you tried? I thought that Refresh plus was working for me at first, but then my eyes started getting even redder. I tell you, trying to figure out what works is like an ongoing science experiment.

I have gone back to using the Bion eyedrops and my eyes seem less irritated. Also, I had ordered the Dwelle drops (advertised here) a few weeks ago, and they seemed to irritate my eyes. As usual, I put them aside to perhaps give them another chance at a later date(I do this with a lot of eyedrops). This weekend, I decided to try them again, and for some reason, they seemed to help my eyes. I take fish oil supplements along with evening primrose oil, which do seem to help a bit. Also, I've been taking MSM, and I think that is helping as well. I keep a log of what supplements I've taken and drops I've used to try to come to some conclusion about what is actually working, and what is making it worse.
          I was thinking of ordering the Dwelle drops, too. Can you only get them online?

As for other drops, nothing special, just basic stuff you see in the drugstore. Can you get the Bion in a drugstore?

I am so frustraetd these days, but I will say that my eyes have NEVER been as bad as they have been since I have been on Restasis!

Comment

flourescent lights have been a nigthmare for me in the last years.....they make the redness more visible and since they are quite strong lights they make the eyes even more dry and so red.....i always use tinted glasses with that type of lights....at least they hide the redness a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by CatB View Post
              I was thinking of ordering the Dwelle drops, too. Can you only get them online?
              Yes or by telephone (877-693-7939 x1, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Pacific)

Can you get the Bion in a drugstore?
              Yes
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                Yes or by telephone (877-693-7939 x1, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Pacific)

Yes
                Rebecca, you seem to be an "expert" on this forum. Any thoughts on my condition and what might help?

Do you, too, as the previous poster mentioned, think that drops only mask the issue, or can they help? I am just looking for some relief, esp. the red eye. I do not find the dryness really awful unless it is first thing in the morning, or at the end of a long, hard day.

Thanks!

Comment

tinted glasses

Originally posted by Francesco View Post
                  flourescent lights have been a nigthmare for me in the last years.....they make the redness more visible and since they are quite strong lights they make the eyes even more dry and so red.....i always use tinted glasses with that type of lights....at least they hide the redness a bit!

Did you get your tinted glasses from a doctor or eyeglasses outlet?

Comment

Hi Cat,
                    I do not agree at all with the negative comment about drops. That's way too general of a statement and it doesn't apply to all drops. Yes, you should use drops if you need to. The question is WHICH drop to use. Some drops cause problems and some drops help. In fact, some people on this site have been quite positive in their reviews of certain drops actually improving their eyes. (Rojzen is an example of someone who has had some mighty impressive results from using Dwelle.) For most of us, not using drops is not an option.

As for myself, I really like Systane preservative free drops. My use of drops over the years has not increased my need for them. It has, however, kept them from getting dryer and more irritated. It is certainly not a cure but it's a palliative treatment to keep (or make) your eyes comfortable. These are the "artificial tear" type drops. You do not develop an addiction or dependence on them by taking them.

The drops that DO ultimately cause problems are the types like Visine. There can also be issues with certain prescription drops (I had a terrible problem with Azasite, for example). And without a doubt, many people have problems from drops that have preservatives in them.

If you look through many of the postings on this site, you can get a feel for which ones people generally like. And it's very individual. For example, I've read posts on here where people liked "Soothe". I hated Soothe. So, expect to waste some money going through some drops that you don't like until you find the ones you do like.

But, for sure, stay away from the "gets the red out" drops.
                    Last edited by NYer; 28-Apr-2008, 08:38.

Comment

Originally posted by CatB View Post
                      4) I have been diagnosed as producing enough tears but having them evaporate very quickly on the eye
                      What treatments have you been utilizing to improve this evaporative issue specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Bazan OD View Post
                        What treatments have you been utilizing to improve this evaporative issue specifically?
                        Honestly, other than seeing my regualr eye doctor, having punctal plugs put in, using Restasis for the last 9 months, taking Flax and Fish oil and using artificial tears throughout the day, that is all that has been suggested to me.

Until joining this forum, I had never even heard about special goggles and sunglasses.

Comment

Vitamin A and wetting, i.e. DAKRINA

CatB: Please see Dr. Holly's posts, here, on the use of Vitamin A to support goblet cell growth and mucin production. There is at least one post, I believe, in which Dr. Holly seems to indicate that if "evaporation" (actually a combination of nonwetting and de-wetting) is the main problem, Dakrina may be the most logical drop to dry, of the Dr. Holly collection. If you have never tried Dwelle, I feel confident that Dwelle alone (which is Dakrina without Vitamin A) would also be a HUGE step up from your Refresh drop experience.

I suggest that you try Dwelle or Dakrina for a good few MONTHS, at least, and see how you feel and look. For me, major improvement became apparent after 7 months of using nothing but Dwelle (or its Rx sister FreshKote, which is Dwelle plus a lipid). . .From Dr. Holly's writings, and my own experience, I have concluded that using other drops along with Dr. Holly's drops makes little sense and can slow progress.

NutraTear, the 3rd OTC Dr. Holly drop, could well be important for you, too, as it contains B12, in highly deliverable form, to accelerate cornea healing, which all of us need. It is perfectly OK to combine different Dr. Holly drops, but these should be spaced apart a bit. . .See Dr. Holly's post on that issue, too.
                          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Originally posted by Rojzen View Post
                            CatB: Please see Dr. Holly's posts, here, on the use of Vitamin A to support goblet cell growth and mucin production. There is at least one post, I believe, in which Dr. Holly seems to indicate that if "evaporation" (actually a combination of nonwetting and de-wetting) is the main problem, Dakrina may be the most logical drop to dry, of the Dr. Holly collection. If you have never tried Dwelle, I feel confident that Dwelle alone (which is Dakrina without Vitamin A) would also be a HUGE step up from your Refresh drop experience.

I suggest that you try Dwelle or Dakrina for a good few MONTHS, at least, and see how you feel and look. For me, major improvement became apparent after 7 months of using nothing but Dwelle (or its Rx sister FreshKote, which is Dwelle plus a lipid). . .From Dr. Holly's writings, and my own experience, I have concluded that using other drops along with Dr. Holly's drops makes little sense and can slow progress.

NutraTear, the 3rd OTC Dr. Holly drop, could well be important for you, too, as it contains B12, in highly deliverable form, to accelerate cornea healing, which all of us need. It is perfectly OK to combine different Dr. Holly drops, but these should be spaced apart a bit. . .See Dr. Holly's post on that issue, too.
                            Thanks so much for the feedback! I actually spoke at length yesterday with Rebecca and we came up with an initial plan of attack for my dry eye:

1) first, I think I have made the decision to stop Restasis. This is my 2nd go at it and I have now been on it for 8 months and there is no improvement and possibly some increased irritation. It just does not work for my evaporative dry eye condition.

2) I will be doing warm compresses twice a day for about 10 min.

3) I will be starting lid hygiene, using a wash twice a day (which I have never done, nor has it ever been suggested before)

4) I will be starting the Dwelle drops in the AM and the PM, and using the NutraTear during the day as needed.

Also, on my own, I will be contacting a Dr. who actually knows someting about dry eye in the hopes of getting this condition under control. Again, I know after reading a lot of the stories on this forum that my condition is not half as bad as many others I have read, but I would rather address it now than let it get out of control. Plus, I am tired of walking around with horrifically bloodshot eyes! Not a good look for a makeup artist!

Comment

CatB

Here is my 2 cents worth - whoever posted that drops that work for you is "personal" to you is right.

Diagnosed with SS 2 years ago - involved with the SS Clinic in Toronto.

It was recommended I use preservative free drops during the day and Lacrilube at night (also preservative free) - I was also given Restasis by the Clinic since it has not been approved in Canada.

It seems I "collected" preservative free drops - tried them all. Bion tears work best. I used to use them about 20 times a day, now it's about 6 times, mostly in the evenings and during the night . I guess my eyes get tired at night. Whatever...

Lacrilube seemed like bloody vaseline in my eyes at night - now I mix it with
                              Bion Tears (first I put in Bion tears then the Lacrilube ) - gets me through the night with one or two wake up calls from my eyes that last only 2 seconds - I no longer worry about hygiene. Put the junk on my index finger
                              and then into my yes. I certainly don't recommend this for anyone else but it works for me.

Last month I discovered " Genteel gel" preservative free on this website. Of course it's not available in Canada (all the other Genteel drops are but not the preservative free) So I stocked up on the gel when I was in the US. When I run out, ( 6 months or so) it's a 2 hour drive to Buffalo - it's worth it for me. I use it only 4-5 times per day, switch to Bion Tears at night. So instead of putting in Bion Tears about 20 times per day, I am down to 4- 5 gel and 3-4 applications Bion Tears in the evenings and 1-2 at night.

Took myself off Restasis twice a day to once a day - did not ask for medical advice. I notice no difference.

Yesterday I was at the opht. - She said my eyes are looking good. Plan to get off Restasis all together but don't have the nerve yet. My plan is to get off it, and see the doctor a month after and ask if things look worse. I am not there yet.

I hope I didn't bore everyone with this long posting - I would say that just because it works for me means nothing. Dry eyes seem to have only one thing in common: Treatment is elusive and very individual driven. Just so it can frustrate the hell out of you.

As far as the lights concerned - I am guessing the lights bother you because your eyes are dry - when I was first diagnosed with SS , I had to wear sunglasses on a gloomy rainiy day because I could not stand daylight (my symptoms came "overnight" Long story) Anyway, as soon as my eyes got better, the lights stopped bothering me. As far as light sensitivity goes my reaction to sunlight is the same as every one without dry yes.

Good Luck - I hope you find the relief you are looking for

eva

Comment

Working...
                              X