New eye drops and information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New eye drops and information

I was researching as usual and found something of much interest, it stated that many people choose to treat dry eyes with eye drops. It used to be that all atrificial tears were pretty much the same and they were designed to "cover up" the dry spots that appear on the eye in advanced cases of dry eye and these drops were developed before it was realized that "dry spots" DONT cause dry eye but are a result of the tears becoming TOO SALTY!!!!!
    These drops would provide temporary relief of dry eye but the dry eye would never get better. Recently it was discovered that just as the electrolytes in the blood are biologically active, the electrolytes in the tear film are biologically active as well and it turns out that if the content of an artificial tear does not precisely match this electrolyte balance, the drop can "starve" the surface of the electrolytes it needs and decrease the quantity of lubrication. So in effect, with these drops, patients take on step forward, but also one step back.
    There is another way to accelerate dry eye relief, and possibly even obtain complete dry eye relief. In a study of nearly 33,000 female health professionals it was found that the more omega-3s they ate, the lower their risk for dry eye. This is actually the third study that has linked dry eye to a dietary deficiency of omega-3s are "essential fatty acids" that are scarce in the American diet. They can be obtained from salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna.
    OKAY WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THE OMEGA 3'S, I just had to put that down, but what I am trying to get at is what if we are all making our eyes worse by using all these drops, so I have found a new website with a new eye drop that made so much sense I got so excited I had to type this out to all of you. I will post a new thread on here about the new website and the new eye drop!!!!!! Thank you Delilah
    Last edited by Delilah; 02-Aug-2005, 22:35.

Keep in mind that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Many of us have been searching for years for something to make us feel better, or "cure' us. Cures are just popping out of the woodwork as the above mentioned site!
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Delilah
      I was researching as usual and found something of much interest, it stated that many people choose to treat dry eyes with eye drops. It used to be that all atrificial tears were pretty much the same and they were designed to "cover up" the dry spots that appear on the eye in advanced cases of dry eye and these drops were developed before it was realized that "dry spots" DONT cause dry eye but are a result of the tears becoming TOO SALTY!!!!!
      These drops would provide temporary relief of dry eye but the dry eye would never get better. Recently it was discovered that just as the electrolytes in the blood are biologically active, the electrolytes in the tear film are biologically active as well and it turns out that if the content of an artificial tear does not precisely match this electrolyte balance, the drop can "starve" the surface of the electrolytes it needs and decrease the quantity of lubrication. So in effect, with these drops, patients take on step forward, but also one step back.
      There is another way to accelerate dry eye relief, and possibly even obtain complete dry eye relief. In a study of nearly 33,000 female health professionals it was found that the more omega-3s they ate, the lower their risk for dry eye. This is actually the third study that has linked dry eye to a dietary deficiency of omega-3s are "essential fatty acids" that are scarce in the American diet. They can be obtained from salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna.
      OKAY WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THE OMEGA 3'S, I just had to put that down, but what I am trying to get at is what if we are all making our eyes worse by using all these drops, so I have found a new website with a new eye drop that made so much sense I got so excited I had to type this out to all of you. I will post a new thread on here about the new website and the new eye drop!!!!!! Thank you Delilah
      what is that web site? Annie

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the web page Delilah was referencing, but it has a similar tone. They are talking about TheraTears Nutrition.
        Dry spots and artificial tears
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

you know, when i think about it, the more i try to treat my dry eyes with drops the worse they ultimately are.
          a year or so i gave up on all drops and now that i think about it i dont remember having as many problems then as i do now.
          i think i will go back to trying to go without. they dont seem to help much anyway....actually, after a minute or two i feel no positive effect.....

Comment

I'd love to know wbout those new eyes drops. I can't see the website either.
            Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Before anybody gets hopeful... this was a thread from more than a year ago (pls scroll up for first post). I think it's either referencing Theratears or a website from some company in Hawaii that had a product that did not appear to be FDA compliant. If the latter I forget what it was called - it was a long time ago - but we had a thread about it around the same time.

I'm moving this back to Open Forum, don't want anybody thinking there's a new product tip to be found here because I don't think there is. Hopefully next time Delilah's on she can remind us what it was about.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X