Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwelle/Freshkote, stinging

Hi

Anyone know why Dwelle and Freshkote sting upon instillation? I really want to use these drops but the stinging discourages me from using them. Is this an indication of how dry my eyes are? Please let me know if I should post this for Dr. Holly. Thanks.
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Yes, they do sting---sometimes less, sometimes more. It can help to put in a drop of PF tears from vial about 5 minutes beforehand. I find that it doesn't change the performance of the Holly drops.

For me, the stinging doesn't last long, and I don't know the reasons behind it. I experience the same thing with practically all the drops I've ever tried. Like you, I have Sjogren's, and my eyes are 0-2 Shirmers. I think the degree of dryness present, AND the chemical balance present, at the time of drop instillation---that this determines whether a drop will sting and how much it will sting.

Another thing I do after putting in the Holly drops, is to wet a tissue with plain water, and gently pass it over my closed lids, lashes. I use a bit to dab excess from under the lower lashes. But this seems to "cool" the stinging, relax my eyes, and take away some of the "reaction" sensations brought on by the physical presence of the drops going into the eyes.

The thing I've noticed about Dwelle and FreshKote, is that while it stings at first, the drops provide protection, NOT merely relief of uncomfortable dryness or grittiness sensations. This, as opposed to a temporary relief followed by even more dryness (and a cycle of repeated drop use). Unfortunately for me, NutraTear has more of that temporary effect. If I use that one too often, my eyes get "raw."

I encourage you to keep trying the Holly drops. I've been using the FreshKote for about a month now, and it's really helping me. I've been trying Dwelle occasionally, and carry NutraTear with me when I go somewhere---but try not to use it very much. The cool water on a tissue---wiping my closed lids and lashes---sometime relieves me enough so I don't have to put in a drop of anything.

Calli

Comment

I also have that stinging, it lasts for about 45sec...

Comment

I occasionally get stinging. Depends on the state of my epithelium I believe. I think that Dr. Holly has addressed this in his forum but if not feel free to post the question there.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Dr. Holly's posts on stinging and crust accumulation with Dwelle

Forgive my laziness, here, but, while I'm not providing the links, I am certain Dr. Holly has explained how and why Dwelle leaves a crusty residue on the lashes (even describing who is more likely to form the largest residue). I'm nearly as certain that he has also explained the stinging sensation from Dwelle. Culling all of Dr. Holly's posts should quickly lead to the right ones, for this. . .

I still get stinging on a fairly regular basis, with Dwelle, even as I approach a full year of use of this product, but the stinging no longer worries me in the least. . .When the stinging is intense, I use this as a signal to instill the Dwelle more frequently (my usual regimen is only twice a day, so there's lots of room for greater frequency). I agree with Rebecca about the possible variation of stinging with the degree of stress being experienced by the corneal epithelium...
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Rojzen,

Thanks for bumping this topic.

For Restasis users: Have you noticed a stinging with Dwelle that is associated with Restasis?

When I got onto Restasis, I noticed it, and when I got off of Restasis, I noticed it. When I was on Restasis long-term, I did not notice it as much or at all.

Now that I have been off of Restasis for a couple of weeks, I notice that it no longer stings unless my eyes are really dry.

--Liz

Comment

Working...
            X