Lacrilube question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacrilube question...

Question regarding "Lacrilube" ointments - The Refresh PM type. Typically, when you wake up in the morning after having put this stuff in the previous night, does it evaporate, get absorbed, or does it just sit there and change into a mucousy-pulp material that you need to wipe out of the eyeball the next morning?

does it evaporate, get absorbed, or does it just sit there and change into a mucousy-pulp material that you need to wipe out of the eyeball the next morning?
    Probably some of all of the above. :-).........A certain amount goes on your pillow case, or if you're wearing a mask, it will smear some on the mask. It does usually leave greasy residue. GenTeal Gel is good and is not of the greasy variety. A nice alternative. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

A combination.

I found lacrilube to be of no help in dealing with my erosions, if anything it made them more frequent. Eyeballs aren't designed to have petroleum jelly in them. The reason we've been recommended to use it is to lubricate the mechanical action of blinking and moving your eyes around in your sleep, but I think there are a lot more factors than just that, and lacrilube feels very drying and gritty.

I recommend you look into other gels, or 'Dwelle' (I use the UK version, Clinitas Ultra 3) which is healthier for the eye, it feels wetter and silky and promotes healing.

Comment

I find the petroleum based lubricants to be more irritating than helpful. I use the GenTeal gel. While it does not last all night, it does not cause me the irritation that Lacrilube and other ointments do.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Lacrilube

I think Lacrilube "feels" good - its thick so you can feel it there and so you know it must be doing something.
          However, have a wee read or search on here and you will find it is not good for your eyes at all! These thick paraffin types can interfere or clog up your meibomian glands.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgoldilocks View Post
            A combination.

I found lacrilube to be of no help in dealing with my erosions, if anything it made them more frequent. Eyeballs aren't designed to have petroleum jelly in them. The reason we've been recommended to use it is to lubricate the mechanical action of blinking and moving your eyes around in your sleep, but I think there are a lot more factors than just that, and lacrilube feels very drying and gritty.

I recommend you look into other gels, or 'Dwelle' (I use the UK version, Clinitas Ultra 3) which is healthier for the eye, it feels wetter and silky and promotes healing.
            HELLO I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT LACRILUBE..CAN I GET THE CLINITAS ULTRA 3 NON PRESCRIPTION IM IN UK ALSO..I HAD 2 PUNCTAL PLUGS INTO MY LOWER TEAR DUCTS 8 WEEKS AGO AND IVE HAD NO IMPROVEMENT ..WHEN I SAW MY EYE CONSULTANT LAST TIME HE SUGGESTED PUTTING CLING FILM OVER LIDS AT NIGHT TO MAINTAIN MOISTURE HAS ANYONE ELSE TRIED THIS WITH SUCCESS?AS I CANT AFFORD THE TRANQUILEYES GOGGLES?REGARDS CB...

Comment

Tape

I tried the tape too. I sleep with my eyes open and this has been confirmed by other members of my family. My doctor suggested fabric tape that is used to bandage wounds when used in conjuction with a sterile pad. I tried it for a while then gave up and just use refresh pm which actually works very well for me. I only use a little bit on my bottom eyelid then look down to make sure the color part of my eye is covered i.e. blurry vision due. I don't get much if any residue in the AM which is not quite what the majority of people experience. My eyes get really dry at night so maybe it all evaporates? I think everyone just has to experiment and find what works best. Any changes in your eyes do take time. Don't expect immediate results. Some of this stuff takes months to make a difference. Patience which I totaly lack really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by cherrybrandy View Post
                HELLO I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT LACRILUBE..CAN I GET THE CLINITAS ULTRA 3 NON PRESCRIPTION IM IN UK ALSO..I HAD 2 PUNCTAL PLUGS INTO MY LOWER TEAR DUCTS 8 WEEKS AGO AND IVE HAD NO IMPROVEMENT ..WHEN I SAW MY EYE CONSULTANT LAST TIME HE SUGGESTED PUTTING CLING FILM OVER LIDS AT NIGHT TO MAINTAIN MOISTURE HAS ANYONE ELSE TRIED THIS WITH SUCCESS?AS I CANT AFFORD THE TRANQUILEYES GOGGLES?REGARDS CB...
                You can get Clinitas Ultra 3 cheapest from Mathesons:

http://www.matheson-optometrists.com/

Buy 3 at a time and it's cheaper. They are really quick to deliver. 1 bottle lasts me about 3 weeks (throw away bottle after it's been open for 28 days).

I never used the clingfilm method, I just taped my eyes down with surgical tape (costs about £1) before I got Tranquileyes.

Comment

Lacrilube causes blurriness ?

I have been using lacrilube only at night for the last two weeks(6 weeks post PRK) A few days ago I noticed my vision getting blurry during the daytime. Is this normal ? Or maybe it is just my sight fluctuating ... is this also normal after prk ?

Comment

I have a lacri-lube at night request from an opthalmic consultant, but opthalmic surgeon said simple eye ointment.

I've tried both and find the ointment better as I can blink it in more, whereas Lacri-lube's a mess.

Comment

Nimmykins,

I agree with posters above that oily ointments should be avoided in the long term. They did feel good to me, did slow down my nighttime RCE's, but I believe they contributed to clogging my meibomian glands and worsening my blepharitis. Lacrilube doeesn't necessarily have that effect on everyone, but please be careful with it.

Mullgan,

I had PRK about 20 months ago. Your fluctuating vision and blurriness during the day is, I think, normal after PRK. It takes about 10 weeks for your epithelium to regrow, and during that time your vision will continue to change. Actually, your vision will change for 6 months or more post-surgery, and it can take 2 years for your nerve density to reach it's pre-surgery levels.

But, same advice as above. Be careful with the lacrilube.

Teri

Comment

Working...
                      X