X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soothe®XP Emollient (Lubricant) Eye Drops

Anyone try these??

Its states on the website:

"Ordinary lubricant eye drops simply provide moisture which can evaporate quickly from the surface of the eye. Bausch & Lomb Soothe®XP Emollient (Lubricant) Eye Drops provides moisture and it contains Restoryl®, the advanced lipid restorative which provides a barrier to tear loss for relief that lasts up to 8 hours"

I used to use Soothe at night--mainly to "refresh" the Genteal Gel that I start out with when I go to bed. They worked OK for that.

But...I would say their advertising and their touting Restoryl is WAY over-rated. The drop in no way lasted any longer than any other OTC drop I've tried. In addition, I always felt the formula was "too salty," not that I can prove that, but it just stung like sea water.

If you want to try something with an "added lipid," something that's in a different class than commercial OTC drops, try FreshKote (a Rx is needed). It contains "Amisol CLEAR," and according to the website, this helps the "Lipid Layer by adding Amisol® CLEAR to stabilize the tear film and delay the tear evaporation."

I'm on my 2nd 15 mL bottle--I use it 2-3 times per day, and it has helped me. My eyes feel less dry and irritated, and I'm not getting nearly as much inflammation.

Calli
    (Sjogren's)

Comment

Thanks for that - i don't think Fresh Kote is available in Ireland. I tried Clinitas Ultra 3 which is similar but didn't find it great. I have ordered the Soothe XP online as its not available in pharmacies here. I will report back when it arrives (prob another waste of money..).

Comment

Please note that "Soothe XP" is the new name for Soothe after it was bought by B&L. You'll find lots of reports about Soothe in the goop forum. I'd say probably most of it correspond's to Calli's report, i.e. nothing special, though like most drops, everything's got some people who seem to get more relief from it than others.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

still mineral oil?

...and if Soothe XP contains the mineral oil that Soothe did, those of us who react adversely to petrolatum and mineral oil products will not find the formula soothing. . .Several docs pressed me to try Soothe, but when I did, it always caused rebound burning and dryness for me. . .i.e., worsening of symptoms after the drop wore off. . .

I second calli's thoughts on FreshKote's Amisol Clear. . .If it has not proven helpful, for those who have tried it for a short period, I would suggest trying it a second time, with a commitment to stick with it for a period of months. For me, longer-term use of any Dr. Holly product has always been necessary before I will experience great and lasting improvement...When the improvement sets in, the wait becomes MORE than worth it. . .
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

My eye doc recommended Soothe to me when it first came out several years back. I tried it and didn't like it.
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I like Soothe XP. I do think it lasts longer than any other drop I've tried. Since I use the regular bottle (which is not preservative free unlike the vials), I only put them in every 4 hours. I use Refresh Tears in between.

I must be opposite of most people. I tried Systane and didn't like it but everyone else seems to love it.

Comment

There are currently two products called Soothe that I am aware of.

B&L make 1 and so do Altacor (the same UK marketer as Clinitas Ultra 3).

I have tried Clinitas Soothe and quite like it. It is a high concentrate of sodium hyaluronate, feels good in my eye.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Its the B & L one that i ordered.
                  It was the '8 hour relief' that i was kinda drawn to... wishful thinking probably!!

Comment

The "8 hour relief" tag line--that's what drew me to purchase Soothe, too! I was wondering if they still claimed that....now that they're a B&L product. I found out it didn't apply to me. The first time I used Soothe, I put it in my eyes right before going to bed, hoping to get through the night, but woke up one hour later with eyes smarting and dry as a desert.

Like I said, I used the product to "re-wet" my Genteal Gel during the night for a couple of years before switching to a PF vial drop. But I don't understand WHY they advertise that 8-hour relief (I just looked at their website--they emphasize the 8 hour figure). I wonder how many here at DEZ find that to be an exaggeration. It almost amounts to misleading advertising, in my mind. It's that very "hook" phrase that gets people choosing that one over some other drop, at least for their first purchase.

I couldn't find the research or clinical trial info or statistics on this. Maybe somebody else can find it. I know I'm on a bit of a rant. I don't have anything against the product, but against the "8 hour" claim.

Calli

Comment

Calli

I absolutely agree. I think it is a hook.

You have me on a roll now. I am off to their website to request data supporting the claim.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

I found Soothe to be very uncomfortable. It created an odd dry sort of feeling. Not "soothing" at all!

Comment

Totally agree - where is their evidence of '8 hour relief' - probably tested on people with normal eyes maybe..

Maybe all of us Dry Eye sufferers should e-mail B & L and let them know that in fact it DOESN'T provide '8 hour relief'.

I will if i don't get the '8 hour relief'...

Comment

Got these drops in the post yesterday - used them last night, didn't like them - they made my eyes burn and sting. Got a two-pack - if anyone would like the unopened one just private mail me ye're address and i'll stick it in the post. They don't suit me but may suit someone else.

Comment

I did get a reply from B&L regarding their 8 hour claim.

They were very specific in pointing out that the claim is in relation to Soothe XP and not Soothe.

The "evidence" was obtained through their own research.

They basically wanted me to fill out some product survey - waste of my time if you ask my honest opinion.

Again, it is my opinion that the "8 hour claim" is a hook, and possibly questionable, certainly in my case, it felt no different to many other drops, I certainly didn't get 8 hours "relief", so for what its worth, I am generally cautious about organisations that can't or won't provide independant test results to substantiate such claims.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X