First day on Freshkote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day on Freshkote

I can honestly say that today was the best eye day that I have had in about 3 years. I had a bottle of Freshkote but just stared at it for a week because I do so terribly with all drops (and I mean all!). Then I read more on this board about others experiences with this drop and I gave it a try. By my 2nd dose I was feeling so good that I ran a million errands to make up for the months of inactivity because of my eyes. I even went to target and home depot with the fans and florescent lights. Pinch me, I think I am dreaming...I am actually daring to picture life going back to "normal".
    Thank you so much DryEyeZone.

Thats great, it really does make the world of difference doesn't it.

Comment

where do you get freshkote? Glad you had a good day!

Comment

I really like FreshKote---best drop I've ever tried. I've been using it for about 3 months. I "save" it for daytime, and try not to over-use it. When my eyes get inflamed, no drop, even FreshKote, helps in the moment. But for maintaining everyday stability, it works great.

You have to get your doctor to prescribe it. The website is here.

Calli

Comment

Yes, it makes the world of difference to have time away from this difficult pain. I feel like I have made a break through- today is another good day. Maybe my eyes are happy to have a lubricating drop, maybe I have found a long terms answer. For now it is best to take it one day at a time and not overdo things.
          In the meantime I have been working on keeping inflammation down through diet and exercise, Restasis, and flax/fish oil.
          I just wanted to offer everyone some hope- I do think that there are answers for us that provide a cure or at least a comfortable solution....after 2 and a half years of misery I was about to give up because I thought I tried everything....now that isnt the case.

Comment

I'm happy for you - two and a half years is a long time to suffer, i hope you will see more improvement

Comment

Did you experience any stinging with this?
              sigpic

Comment

yes, I did experience some stinging...it was not too bad though. Freshkote is still helping a great deal and I am so happy with it- I only use it in the day and as little as possible...I can say it definitely makes the surface of my eye "wettable". It is a great drop, I think, but it has to be taken like a prescription- meaning its benefits might not be immediate but persist because it could be theraputic for you.

Comment

I'm wondering why I haven't heard of this product before? Is it relatively new? Have a lot of DEZ people tried it? Why haven't ANY of the doctors I've seen recommended or at least talked to me about this product?
                  I'm so glad it's helping you. Are there any bad side effects that you know of? I wonder if it works for a lot of people.

Comment

Oh wait, I think I remember this is a Dr. Holly drop! Hmmm...maybe will have to look into this further for my morning drop (the only time I use them)

Comment

My dry eye buddy sent me some of hers that irritated her eyes. And I've been trying them this week -- I like them too! They sting far less than Dwelle and Dakrina. Although they still sting a bit.

My Kaiser opth. looked into them for me, but their pharmacy said they could not fill it for me b/c after their internal research, the ingredients were not anything more than over the counter drops. Bummer -- he said he could write me an RX anyways, but I'd have to pay full price - -not sure what that is...........but if they bottles I have have now keep working -- I'll want to keep using it!

Comment

Originally posted by LasikLady View Post
                        I'm wondering why I haven't heard of this product before? Is it relatively new? Have a lot of DEZ people tried it? Why haven't ANY of the doctors I've seen recommended or at least talked to me about this product?
                        I'm so glad it's helping you. Are there any bad side effects that you know of? I wonder if it works for a lot of people.
                        If doctors don't hear about it, patients aren't going to hear about it from the doctors. Doctors' main sources are sales reps, conferences and trade journals. Small companies have very limited marketing reach due to budget constraints. But I think a lot of DEZ people have tried it. It's the youngest of Dr. Holly's products, basically Dwelle plus a lipid-containing ingredient. It's an excellent drop and well worth trying. Only side effects are - like Dwelle and Dakrina - white residue, and occasionally stinging.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by lboogie View Post
                          but I'd have to pay full price - -not sure what that is...........
                          I paid $30 (15 mL bottle) at Walgreen's. First I called up the company at FOCUS Laboratories (501) 753-6006, and asked who their distributor was for the pharmacies in my city. Once I had that info, I called my eye doctor who called the Rx in to the pharmacy. They don't stock it, but order it from their supplier. My doctor had apparently heard of it---he didn't give me any trouble.

One bottle lasts me about 45 days.

C

Comment

Do you like FreshKote better than Dwelle?

Autumn and Calli (and others who have used FreshKote and like it),
                            Prior to using FreshKote, had you tried Dwelle? If so, what do you feel is the difference that makes you like FreshKote more? (I'm curious since the only difference in Freshkote from Dwelle is the lipid ingredient. So if you like it that much more, there is something to the lipid that is so helpful.)

Comment

I had tried Dwelle before and had used it occasionally. That's what I carry around in my pocket when I'm out and about---I keep FreshKote mostly at home.

Dwelle (and to a greater extent, Dakrina) have a strange effect of producing "drag" or something like "suction" when I first put it in. My lids feel like they don't ride smoothly on my eyeball and are sluggish to open fully (hard sensation to explain). It's just uncomfortable enough that I resist using it. I've learned to add more as soon as the sensation occurs, and that sometimes relieves it. I think I need more of it to get my eyelids wiping properly.

Dakrina does this effect to extreme, so I don't use it. Years ago, when I first tried Systane, it had a similar effect. I'm not sure what properties/ingredients in the drop create this, and there's probably something about my tear chemistry (and lack of tears) that contribute to the effect.

For some reason, FreshKote doesn't do this. Perhaps the lipid component moderates the surface tension.

Calli

Comment

Working...
                              X