Thank you to who pointed out Genteal gel vs. ointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you to who pointed out Genteal gel vs. ointment

I have had SEVERE night-time dry eyes for over a year now that just came on out of the blue. I have to wake 2-3 times per night to put eye drops in my eyes. Anyway, I told my eye doctor about this and she swore by Genteal because she has dry eyes herself. She said the kind in the tube so I didn't know there were different types. I just did what she said and got the genteal in the tube. I used it and it made my eyes feel WORSE! I woke up with my eyes puffy, swollen and still dry. I told her at the next visit that it didn't work and she just shrugged and said "huh!"

I was reading a thread the yesterday on genteal gel here on the boards and one of the the posters ( I can't recall who) made it clear to use the genteal gel and NOT the ointment. I was curious so I went digging through my bathroom cabinet to see if I still had the genteal from a year ago. When I found it I read the label and low and behold it was genteal ointment! I was so excited by this revelation that I immediately went to the drug store the following day and bought Genteal Gel. I tried it when I got home and oh my gosh, it is like heaven in my eyes! Now to see if it works for my night time dryness....... I am trying it tonight.

Thank you to whoever posted that difference!

Well, I used the drops last night before I went to bed and it held me over until 3:00 in the morning. I usually wake at around 1:00 and then around 3:00 every night so that is a definite improvement although not perfect.

I ordered the tranquil eyes goggles so hopefully the combination between the genteal gel and the goggles will get me through the whole night. I hope so......

Comment

Originally posted by Leesaw73 View Post
      I was reading a thread the yesterday on genteal gel here on the boards and one of the the posters ( I can't recall who) made it clear to use the genteal gel and NOT the ointment.
      It's unfortunate that Novartis does not do more to differentiate these products - since they are totally different! One is petrolatum and mineral oil, and the other is a polymer-based gel.

Similar problems with the Visine product line. If you're not a really well educated savvy consumer, you could easily ACCIDENTALLY buy a BAK-preserved vasoconstrictor containing a lubricant instead of a safe lubricant for dry eyes.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X