About TheraTears Vials--duh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About TheraTears Vials--duh

There has been a discussion recently about TT "re-closable" vials. In using TT for 9 years, I never heard of or saw a vial that was re-closable. Then "Jen" on this forum said she bought them at Targets. She lives in a state nearby.

Well, the other day while fiddling with a TheraTears vial, I discovered that you can take the top after you've snapped it off and "jimmy" it back on for a good seal. I wonder how many others have been so in the dark. They do not say on the box or package that the vials are re-closable. Thera Tears are not my favorite drops, as I use Dr. Holly's products mostly. However, for a change in drops, or to just have extra on hand, I find TT to be a good all around drop.

Now, I don't know if there is a different re-closable vial, or I was just too involved to not notice you could recap these vials. Those of you who were wondering might like to try it like I did. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Lucy
    The reason they don't mention it is because the preservative free vials are "single use" only. But you have stumbled onto a jewel of an idea though. I would put the wink sign here but I don't know how to make it.

Comment

Well now, I do feel a bit blonder than usual today. Lucy, after reading your post, I went upstairs to my TT stash and found out that the caps do re-attach! They just pop on quite securely. I know darn well I have tried this before and the caps did not go back on. I guess I will now make it a point to test out each package. I am so happy that I can now take my TT vials with me when I am on the road. Thanks so much for pointing this out! I will "wink" in gratitude. ;>)
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I do think this is a big help to "take your TT along" with you! After it's recapped, you can slip it into your pocket and use it later. It's a surprisingly
        strong reseal. At worst, the liquid would leak out of the vial.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Took me awhile to realize that the Refresh, Refresh Plus, and Endura can all be recapped too. I have never had one leak in my pocket.

Comment

Yeah, you have kinda force them sometimes -- but it's great. The ones that don't recap are such a pain. Most all docs agree that it's okay to re-use during a 24-hour time period.

Comment

I think a number of the vials of the PF products change from time to time.

I had some TT that recapped, then others had a funny ball shaped thing on the end and had a longer dispenser and they did not recap.

Refresh products did when I started using them, then all of a sudden they didn't, now they do again. (Maybe it was just a different batch from a different country - depends where I was when I bought them - can't remember).

Restasis is a different vial than the other refrest products and it doesn't recap and never has to my knowledge.

Systane comes in two different size vials, in the us it is 4ml in the uk it is an 8ml (as it is in Australia) vial and both recap to my knowledge.

The common denominator in all of the PF products is the instructions say to use once then dispose of (so I guess this goes a long way to explain why they don;t encourage you to recap). I guess they have a legal concern.

However, many of us here use a PF vial for the day and throw it when it;s finished or when the day comes to an end. Some refrigerate, some don't, some DR's encourage it, some Don't. it is a bit like the drops themselves - some work - some don't!!!

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

I once asked a pharmacist regarding this subject and he said to use the rule "24 hours, then toss out" for Refresh Plus eyedrops, so that is what I do...

Comment

One should absolutely do what your doctor tells you to do about using vials within a certain amount of hours. My post was only to comment that I found the vials to be reclosable. After using them for 9 years, that was quite a light bulb moment. You can easily put them in your pocket and I'd never been able to do this before.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

One should absolutely do what your doctor tells you to do about using vials within a certain amount of hours. My post was only to comment that I found the vials to be reclosable. After using them for 9 years, that was quite a light bulb moment. You can easily put them in your pocket and I'd never been able to do this before. Instead of perhaps using 5 or 10 vials daily, this could be reduced quite a bit by recapping the vials you're using that day.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

My husband started using Restasis recently and his box came with vials that are reclosable. I am about to get a another script and am hoping this one will come with reclosable vials also...

Comment

I have a tiny, tiny purse that I put my vials in. It's about the length of a vial and a cute red colour, they were something that a self-employed jeweller was using with his products and for some reason I thought of using it. I can wash it out and it closes so it's perfect for keeping fluff out of. I use that for the non-closeable ones. Makes them easy to find in my handbag... or on my desk at work...
                        just keep swimming...

Comment

Isn't it amazing how excited we get about our storage methods for eyedrop vials? Actually, 10 years ago, I never thought I would be dealing with any of this! You gotta laugh... It is better than the alternative!

Comment

And yet a third type of vial!

I thought I was going to be so smart. I went to Target as someone here said that is where they got the TT vials with snap on caps. I buy a box and happily place 1/2 in my car, and the other 1/2 in my desk drawer at work. So, I open my desk drawer and open one of the foil packs of vials. To my amazement is yet another kind of vial. This one has a long, angled neck and NO snap on cap. I'm so not used to this kind of vial, tried to poke my eye out. I wish there was some way of knowing what kind of vials you are buying before you buy them? Why do they keep messing with the vials?
                            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

A toothpick holder is a good holder for a guy for his drops. Fits in the pocket nicely. A lipstick holder is something I use. It even has a mirror in it. Not that I need a mirror for drops. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X