Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with putting in ANY night drops

Hey all

I have this unusual problem in that I have extremely dry eyes at night , often causing me to wake up many many times throughout the night, but if I put in any form of eye drop (Viscotears, Thera Tears Liquid Gel, Celluvisc, even worse are the ointments... oh god... the ointments) I will wake up a few hours later with an incredibly red almost conjunctivitis-like eye and extreme pain. My eyes can handle drops during the day just fine but I can't go to sleep with them in (even if just a little bit) or I will get an infected mega sore eye. Does anyone else get this??? Or is it just me?? It's just so hard because I know these drops are key to helping a good sleep with dry eye and they are not an option for me, does anyone know why this might be happening...

Thanks so much

Ointments can be very irritating, but I can't explain the drops. Celluvisc and Theratears Liquid Gel both make my eyes feel more dry and irritated. I think a lot of it has to do with your tear composition and what drops may work best for you. The only thing that partially gets me through the night is GenTeal Severe Gel. Have you talked to your eye doctor about this? It could be some sort of allergy or hypersensitivity.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Genteal Gel is the only thing I can use at night. It is preservative free too.

Comment

I've tried genteal gel too , same problem, wake up after a few hours with inflammed sore eyes. I haven't told my doctor yet - I probably should though. It's weird because I thought it must be hypersensitivity but I can put them in during the day with no dramas. It's just when I put them in before sleep... must have something to do with my REM movements or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcaeon View Post
          I've tried genteal gel too , same problem, wake up after a few hours with inflammed sore eyes. I haven't told my doctor yet - I probably should though. It's weird because I thought it must be hypersensitivity but I can put them in during the day with no dramas. It's just when I put them in before sleep... must have something to do with my REM movements or something.
          At night, we naturally produce fewer tears, so there are less tears to dilute whatever you put in your eyes, making the drops more concentrated in effect as compared to during the day. There might be enough less moisture at night that you are experiencing a hypersensitivity that you would not experience during the day. Have you tried wearing night goggles? The Dry Eye Shop sells them. Also try running a humidifier in your bedroom at night.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have this problem, too, but it is not as severe as yours seems to be. Like RS, I also have good luck with Genteal Gel, but, honestly, when I wake up, my eyes are usually red and really sore. They clear up after I have been awake for a bit. I also use goggles, and when it was humid this summer, it felt even worse. I had better luck when I turned on the A/C. I noticed just this week that there was a triangular space on my left eye, right at the bottom, below the iris, that was completely red. There must be something going on-- inadequate tears, mucin, or oil, maybe some kind of drag on the lower lid from the goggle, or evaporation. I am unsure. I don't know what to do about it. It is connected, I think, to my RCE's. There's some kind of extreme dryness at night that I have to combat.

Thanks for raising this issue.

Comment

I have problems with TheraTears also. I do OK with Genteal Gel at night, but have to add Tears Natural (free) several more times during the night to get through.

I have no idea why you would have no trouble during the day using the very same drops. Kitty's idea sounds like a possible reason. Maybe the combination of drops you're using are not compatible together. Maybe during the day, there's a bit more tear volume that clears out the formula or dilutes it---kind of saying the same thing as Kitty.

Some of these drops have the preservative ingredient listed as "disappearing upon contact with the air" (or is it "contact with the eye"?)--maybe it's not disappearing like it should when used while sleeping--not opening the eyes enough for it to dissipate.

C

Comment

To throw something else in here for those who are having problems with their current night regimen, there is always Muro 128 ointment. If nothing else works, you don't have much to lose by trying this but the $20.

Some recommend this, some don't, but when you've tried everything, you might try this. My doc says I can "use it forever." I don't want to use it forever because I want my EBMD, RCE's and dry eyes to be fixed. That "ain't gonna happen." (I do not always use Muro ointment at night, but have never had any bad effects.) This is available at most pharmacies, but you may have to ask for it. Lucy
                Last edited by Lucy; 04-Oct-2008, 22:44. Reason: addition
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                  To throw something else in here for those who are having problems with their current night regimen, there is always Muro 128 ointment. If nothing else works, you don't have much to lose by trying this but the $20.

Some recommend this, some don't, but when you've tried everything, you might try this. My doc says I can "use it forever." I don't want to use it forever because I want my EBMD, RCE's and dry eyes to be fixed. That "ain't gonna happen." (I do not always use Muro ointment at night, but have never had any bad effects.) This is available at most pharmacies, but you may have to ask for it. Lucy
                  Where would buy this Muro 128 ointment? Thanks.

Comment

I have tried the Muro 128. While it is more comfortable than the other "ointments", I still wake up feeling dry and generally irritated. There is something about the petrolatum base of these ointments that is very irritating to my eyes.

Comment

You can buy this product at most pharmacies. You may have to ask for it as they may keep it over the counter.

Kitty: I'm just adding Muro ointment to the list that others have posted. Not necessarily saying I recommend it, or that they should use it. But, most people have not heard of Muro and IF it helps them through a rough patch, well that's good, isn't it? They can always discuss the remifications with their doctor and go with his/her recommendations.

If you do try Muro, be sure and get the ointment, not the drops. Drops burn. Ointment does not. Lucy
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                        If you do try Muro, be sure and get the ointment, not the drops. Drops burn. Ointment does not. Lucy
                        I use muro drops.. if you don't like the goopy feeling / residue of ointment (I've come to hate it) it's well worth the two minutes of intense stinging, if muro works for you. Just something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                        X