Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preservatives vs. preservative free drops...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservatives vs. preservative free drops...?

Hi

I see a lot of talk about preservatives vs. preservative-free drops and gels on this forum. How do you tell? Do PF drops say PF on the packaging? Or are they the single use vials (that are more expensive?)

Hi

I haven't looked at this website for months (because my dry eyes due to SS are doing well) - when I saw your were from Toronto as I am, I had to respond

I saw your other posting about your night time routine as well.

A very long time ago, I posted my "big discovery" regarding GenTeal Gel in the USA - for severe dry eyes and preservative free. I bought a 6 months supply and they are great

When I showed the product to the optometrist, she said it has "GenAqua" in it and the box states" Preservative free in the eye" - in other words it becomes preservative free when used. She thinks it's the same product available in Toronto but label rules are different in Canada

Anyhow, this has been my saviour and I hardly use the preservative free BionTears any more except at night - I mix Bion Tears with Lacrilube at night and never wake up - big change from when I was first diagnosed with SS in April 2006 0r 2007 - can't even remember the date any more.

I am a huge fan of preservative free products

Good luck for your continued restful sleep.

eva

Comment

I'm in the party that questions the 'preservative free in the eye' nature of those drops/gel. Simply put, I would accept that with a person with non-severe dry eye that has some significant tear production, that does not close their eyes to go to sleep right away after inserting it.. it might just meet the claim. That said, my jury is definately not in with a verdict on severe dry eyes.

I, personally, would suggest getting (if you must purchase store-bought, not dwelle or nutratear) drops that are genuinely preservative free, not just preservative free 'in the eye'- it's a LOT better to be safe than sorry, especially if you're in the party that uses drops very often. And yes, those will always come in single-use vials.

You can 'milk' some of the expense out of them (if you're using ones that provide a significant amount of drops, unlike the tiny little refresh vials) by re-capping them, putting them in a shot glass, and sticking them in the fridge, and using the rest of the tears in the vial within that same day.

Comment

Thanks!

I did purchase Dwelle and Nutra Tear, along with Tranquil-Eyes goggles, so I'm waiting for those to come in the mail hopefully next week.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
        X