A step in the right direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A step in the right direction

Today I went to my second (followup) appt with an optometrist I found in the yellow pages who advertised dry eye as one of his specialties. At the first appt he wanted me to try patadol for two weeks, which I did my best to comply with but had to abandon last weekend because it was just making things even rawer (the BAK, I'm convinced, on top of an already irritated surface was just too much).

I am happy to say that he spent over an hour with me today and was the most kind, compassionate doctor I've seen yet. (An hour? Unheard of, at least to me). It's frustrating when they shrug and say "well, your eyes look fine to me", but you're ready to pull them out of your head. No, this is NOT all in my head!

Anyway, I had a list of questions a mile long, but he managed to deal with them all without me even asking. My diagnosis (unchanged from first appt) is:

- normal (for my age) TBUT, but thin tear film
    - suspected allergy to something (I'm convinced it's autumn mold and dead stuff flying around the air -- I seem to be worse this time of year). Lots of mucous in my eye, although nothing I can see. Lack of tears means inability to flush it out
    - very poor production of oil (no sign of overt blepharitis; I think he called it "meibonism" or something like that). Yellowy, mucous discharge when expressed.
    - suspected ocular rosacea (mild signs of it on my cheeks so could be a contributing factor).

So my treatment plan ...
    - First thing he did today was put temporary lower plugs in (will dissolve in 3-4 days).
    - In 5 days, I'm to start a different allergy drop (preservative free -- yayyy!), called Zaditor to see if that works
    - Then, 5 days after that I will go on a steroid/antibiotic drop if required (short-term, to hopefully calm things down)
    - After that, maintenance.
    - And of course regular warm compresses/lid massage as per Dr. Latkany's book.

He warned me that things would be rough today which they have been(numbing drop after effects, not to mention the punctum poking and fluorostein). But I just went to lay down and do my warm compresses, and my eyes were actually wet after!

I know I have a long road ahead and there is no fast fix or cure, but I must say how relieved I feel to have finally found someone who seems knowledgeable and willing to take the time to both help and care. He will see me on a weekly basis over the next several weeks as we start to try these different things one step at a time.

Sorry for being so long winded, but today has been a good day (not too many lately) and I just wanted to share.

Debbi

Hi,

Zaditor has BAK preservative in it.

Comment

Thanks, Plat. He gave me a two week sample and they are definitely the preservative free variety -- blister packs with 6 vials in each. I absolutely need to avoid BAK at all costs right now, even if its only shortterm use. Maybe once this flareup subsides, but even then I will have to be pretty desparate to put that stuff anywhere near my eye.

Comment

Hi,

Are you sure they are Zatidor preservative free eye drops? Where can I buy these?

Thanks

Comment

Hi, Plat ... yes, I'm am 100% sure they are preservative free. They have 5 single-dose units in a blister pack. After opening the blister, the units can be stored for 3 months inside the carton box or 1 month outside the box. It says preservative free numerous places on the box, leaflet, etc.
          The medicinal incredient is ketotifen fumarate, and the nonmedicinal are glycerol, water and sodium hydroxide.

As for where you can buy them, good question. The leaflet references Novartis Pharmaceutical Canada, and I was able to find a contact/order number on their site (1-866-393-6337) so maybe they can be ordered directly from Novartis Canada. Can't find any reference to them on their site, however.

I got them as a sample (haven't tried them yet), but if they work for me, I'll be on a hunt to figure out where to buy them as well.

Debbi

Comment

Have you been allergy skin tested? I was recently, in my quest to get my DES under control. I turns out that I am allergic to almost every tree, grass, weed and mold, but not cats and dogs. I guess Zena my kitty can stay! Anyway, these allergies really irritate my eyes at times. Singulair is good because it is non drying and allergy shots would be non drying as well. All in all I dont think that the allergies really dry my eyes in my case

Comment

Thanks, Jen. I have "allergy testing" on my list of things to do. I've never been allergic to anything in my life, but this is the second fall season where the bottom dropped out on me. Last year it was intermittent -- bad days interspersed with perfectly normal days -- but this time it's been non-stop and quite debilitating since end of August. We also had an early fall this year. Sounds bad, but I'm praying for 10 feet of snow and -40 weather!

I saw a post here while I was browsing a few days ago, about showering before bed and making sure my sleeping environment is as allergen-free as possible. So I'm paying a lot of attention to that now. Between installing a heavy duty humidifer, and air purifiers in almost every room, and all the other incidental dry-eye "tools", this is costing me a fortune!

I have a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip planned to Mexico at Christmas and am praying things will resolve themselves by then. Will do what I have to do, but having to stop every couple hours to use cold compresses will really suck.

Comment

Working...
              X