FreshKote v. Dwelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreshKote v. Dwelle

Just a quickie to reiterate what lay buried in another post of mine today. . .

About a year into using Dwelle as my nearly exclusive treatment (for MGD with negligible to zero tear film break-up time), I switched to FreshKote for 2 months, to see what would happen. . .In that period, nothing untoward occurred, but I did not feel as comfortable as I do with Dwelle, and had a few windy sensation episodes. . .I was still moisture-chamber free, during this period.

Since I have very little functional lipid in my tear film, it would make seem to make sense to use FreshKote, which contains a lipid supplement. . .Nonetheless, I'm definitely doing even better now, back on Dwelle, and after 14 months on Dr. Holly drops only, I'm stable and only mildly symptomatic. . .I no longer wear moisture chamber glasses, though I do enjoy using extra eye protection while bicycling or handling high winds. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Good to see you again, Rojzen!

I'm still using FreshKote as my main drop, and I'm still pretty stable, although the winter's coming, and with it, low humidity. So I'm having some flare-ups. I still carry Dwelle around in my pocket, though, for when I go out.

And I'm still encouraged by your success with Dwelle---wow---to be using it only twice a day, and giving up your moisture chamber glasses---that's PROGRESS.

Calli

Comment

This is an interesting conversation and may bring someone to revisit Freshkote. I used Freshkote before it was called this name and of all the Dr. Holly drops liked this the least. For me, it didn't do enough for me to buy it more than once. I like all of the drops available at the Dry Eye Shop and use them, but maybe I'll ask my eye doc for a prescription just to have another "go" at this drop.

I really believe there is no "one" drop for everyone and everyone may be different now that they were two, three years ago in how they react to drops. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi, Rojzen.

Glad to hear that you are still doing well! Thanks for the update.

--Liz

Comment

thought I'd add this - I have just had a bad month - I had started using clinitas ultra 3 instead of Dwelle at night (Clinitas Ultra 3 is the UK equivalent of Freshkote if I'm not mistaken???) and it was an absolute nightmare. I was burning like crazy during the days, even more than usual - my symptoms are normally a little different and more varied, this was full on burn burn burn in both eyes (all day). I gave it a good go in case it was something else but now back to Dwelle, the increased burning is gone, I'm back to the usual horrors (ironically a relief).

My reaction to clinitas ultra 3 surprised me greatly, haven't had really any problems with anything else I've tried but it's reminded me that some products really aren't compatible.

I'm curious what it is in clinitas ultra 3 that was causing the problem though - if anyone else has has any weird experience with it?
          just keep swimming...

Comment

the other strange thing was that when I instil Dwelle, I get a bit of burning to start with then it's gone. I had no burning putting in clinitas ultra 3, very comfortable in fact, but I'd suffer during the day after...

Strange.
            just keep swimming...

Comment

Is Dwelle avaiable anywhere in Europe? or do we Europeans have to send to Rebeccas shop? - Just thinking of cost of postage

Comment

Stella... I just recently was able to add First Class International shipping to the shop and it's relatively cheap for Europe at least compared to Priority/Express. What's more, I just heard back from one of the first people who used the 1st Class, in Switzerland, and she got her package in less than two weeks. I'm guessing that'll be the exception not the rule... heck, Priority Mail often takes longer than that... but it was encouraging.

But to answer the question, no it's not in Europe, but I think there's still hope it will be in time.

Stanza, seems to me it must be the Amisol Clear that you reacted to. The drops are identical except for that ingredient. They're even made by the same manufacturer, so there's no difference in the process or grade of materials used. Very strange, sorry to hear it. - As regards the sensation on instillation... I haven't tried Freshkote in many years but my recollection from the past was it didn't have the initial smart even when I was very dry. I suppose that's the lipid effect. (On the other hand like Lucy I didn't like it as much as the others.)
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca

Comment

Thanks, Rebecca, that's very useful to know.
                    just keep swimming...

Comment

dilivery

I ordered nutratear few days ago with the cheapest transport option and got them in 4 days ... and I live in Belgium

Comment

by the way , Rebecca, is Dwelle also useable for daytime use ?
                        I see in most of your posts (and in the shop) you advise everyone to get NutraTear and not Dwelle ... I wonder why that is as Dwelle seems more potent...

Comment

Clinitas Ultra

Stanza

I did not get on well with Clinitas Ultra at all. Saying that, I am not having much luck with any drops!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            by the way , Rebecca, is Dwelle also useable for daytime use ?
                            Certainly, and I would encourage that use especially for those with severe dry eye and/or erosions.

The only reason it says "Night" on the Dwelle label is (wouldn't ya guess) marketing. When I first took on these drops, and spend a couple of years attempting to market them in the medical world, I needed a way to differentiate Dwelle and Dakrina. I went with "The Difference is Night and Day" [Dwelle/Dakrina]. But there is not a significant viscosity difference between the two and both can be used day or night. Many people with severe dry eye use Dwelle during the day. For some, that's a long-term need, while others are able to "graduate" to NutraTear after experiencing enough healing.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Dwelle and restasis

Hi, Rojzen.

How did you make the switch exclusively to Dr Holly's drops? I am currently on Restasis (for 4 months) and have been using Dwelle for the past 10 days. I am not sure if I should stay on the Restasis. It does not appear to be helping. If I stay on it, will it hinder my healing from Dwelle.

Also, how long were you on Dwelle before you realized that it was really helping?

Thanks,
                              Jennie

Comment

Working...
                              X